Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Top Off Tuesday and Review: COLD IRON by D.L. McDermott


Started by FeliciaChristi and Amanda, Top Off Tuesday is where a bunch of us share hot-hot-hot book covers (some we've read, some we've just drooled on). Head over to Felicia's blog to share your ToT link and see what everyone else is swooning over.

I think I want my own Conn. And I probably wouldn't scream too loudly if a huge guy wielding a sword showed up in my bedroom in the middle of the night. At least not this one.


COLD IRON (Cold Iron #1) by D.L. McDermott
Paranormal Romance
381 pages, ebook
Available February 10, 2014
Publisher: Pocket Star

The Fae, the Good Neighbors, the Fair Folk, the Aes Sídhe, creatures of preternatural beauty and seduction. Archaeologist Beth Carter doesn’t believe in them. She’s always credited her extraordinary ability to identify ancient Celtic sites to hard work and intuition—until today.

The tomb Beth has just discovered is the most complete Celtic burial she’s ever seen. Filled with ancient treasure, impossibly well-preserved, the burial has everything—except a body. Her ex-husband, the scholar who stifled her career to advance his own, is unconcerned. Corpses don’t fetch much on the antiquities market. Gold does. Beth knows from past experience that if she isn’t vigilant, Frank will make off with the hoard.


So when a man—tall, broad shouldered, and impossibly handsome—turns up in her bedroom claiming to be the tomb’s inhabitant, one of the Tuatha Dé Danann, the mythic god-kings of old Ireland, Beth believes it is a ploy cooked up by her ex-husband to scare her away from the excavation.


But Conn is all too real. Ancient, alien, irresistible, the Fae are the stuff of dreams and nightmares, their attentions so addictive their abandoned human lovers wither and die. And this one has fixed his supernatural desire on Beth.


Sadly, I didn't like this one nearly as much as I'd hoped. My overall impression? Kind of gloomy. Beth is used and abused (mostly verbally but the sleaze also drugged her and let his friend paw all over her) by her ex-husband, who steals her knowledge of hidden treasures and holds her career in his hands.

Conn is also dark and brooding, constantly thinking about the past and his losses (and there are lots of them, considering he's hundreds of years old). I don't think I'd invite this couple to my holiday party -- they're definitely party-poopers.

Not a bad read but this three-star book has been par for my reading course lately: less than I wanted and not what I expected. This book definitely sets itself up as the first in a PNR series...which might be good because the next heroine is much more spunky and interesting than poor, lackluster Beth (yeah, yeah, Beth taps her previously buried Druid heritage and has some crazy powers but...meh. I'm going to stick with my Iron Druid, Atticus, from Kevin Hearne's story. Much hotter. Much feistier.). 

Available on Amazon | Barnes and Noble

16 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sorry that you didn't end up enjoying this book as much as you'd hoped Mary, I've been reading a lot of 3 star books lately too, which sucks! I hope you find something to get you out of this funk soon. Thanks for sharing another gorgeous cover with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm this does sound like a rather depressing read. I do like dark themes in books but it has to be backed with.. something. Hope, growth, etc. Conn sounds like he would depress the shit out of me! O_O Boo to Debbie Downers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these pnr romance series because you get a new chance with each heroine/hero if the one you're reading doesn't work out. Sounds like this one isn't remarkable enough to crash into my already towering TBR pile, but damn that is a nice cover! I look forward to your thoughts on the next book in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd mind if that man showed up in my bedroom with his sword at the ready either Mary ;-)

    Too bad this one was a bit of a downer though, it sounded like it had so much potential! And the cover is so pretty. Swords and naked hairy chests for the win:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, it's a shame this didn't work for you - the cover seemed so promising! ;) Still, well-written and comprehensive review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He has hair on his chest! I like it when they're a little rough around the edges, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover rocks! He had chest hair and a sword = Win

    I tried reading the book but it was a DNF for me. I just couldn't get into it :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well even though you didn't like the book that cover is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Party poopers lol

    That cover is pretty awesome though. I wish they wouldn't have put that little kangaroo over his shoulder though. Sort of ruins the effect of hot guy with sword.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my... WHAT?! That dude is perfect! Would you look at those arms? I'm so sorry the book wasn't much, but I admire you for even looking inside when you could have stared at the cover instad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least it still entertained... and you got a nice cover to go with it. I'm sure you wouldn't mind at all if he suddenly showed up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad the story isn't better. I do like the cover though. I love books with swords on the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! Yeah, I don't think I would scream either. ;) Sorry to hear the story was a bit too gloomy for you. I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As long as that guy knows how to handle his....sword. Ahem.

    Joking aside, I gotta say...gloomy romances are like the WORST. Not what I'm looking for in escapist fantasy at all.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is is a pretty wicked sword, but I definitely will be skipping this story. I need some pep in my life! Not any debby downers. Thanks for vetting!

    ReplyDelete