Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Waiting on...ICONS by Margaret Stohl

Did you all read the Beautiful Creatures series? Beautifully written, great setting, excellent characters -- oh, and it's being made into a movie (for real. They're filming it right now). So, when I saw one of the authors had a new series coming out, I definitely added it to the wishlist.

Now, read the blurb. Did you get chills? Or is it just me... That first line had me speculating who "they" are -- Aliens? Angels? Silurians (you know, the reptile-y humanoids from Doctor Who)? While the blurb works for me, the names and the cover don't. Dol? I'm sure that's short for something but uhg. I'm picturing creepy, blank-eyed dolls when I say her name. The typography on the cover is quite cool but the color and weird eye placement just don't inspire. Despite all that, there's no way I'm passing up this story. I still love a good post-apocalyptic/dystopian brouhaha. 

YA Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopia
448 pages, hardcover
Expected publication: May 7, 2013
Little, Brown for Young Readers

Your heart beats only with their permission.

Everything changed on The Day. The day the windows shattered. The day the power stopped. The day Dol's family dropped dead. The day Earth lost a war it didn't know it was fighting.

Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the countryside -- safe from the shadow of the Icon and its terrifying power. Hiding from the one truth she can't avoid.

She's different. She survived. Why?

When Dol and her best friend, Ro, are captured and taken to the Embassy, off the coast of the sprawling metropolis once known as the City of Angels, they find only more questions. While Ro and fellow hostage Tima rage against their captors, Dol finds herself drawn to Lucas, the Ambassador's privileged son. But the four teens are more alike than they might think, and the timing of their meeting isn't a coincidence. It's a conspiracy.

Within the Icon's reach, Dol, Ro, Tima, and Lucas discover that their uncontrollable emotions -- which they've always thought to be their greatest weaknesses -- may actually be their greatest strengths.

Bestselling author Margaret Stohl delivers the first book in a heart-pounding series set in a haunting new world where four teens must piece together the mysteries of their pasts -- in order to save the future.

Waiting on Wednesdays is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I don't know if this is my style, but I'm such a fan of the Caster Chronicles that I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds AMAZING! "The day the Earth lost a war it didn't know we were fighting"! OMG! Win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the cover Mary, it's not my favorite at all, but the blurb? SO GOOD! I could throttle you for posting this though, as now I have to wait until May to read it. MAY MARY! Unacceptable. I need it now:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember hearing of this one but I hadn't seen the cover. I'm with you though, its not my favorite. But yes, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome. great plot. havent heard of this before but im glad you posted it! ill have to check it out @
    my "Waiting on Wednesday"
    Katie @ Inkk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have another book I need to add to my TBR list!!! Thanks for spotlighting it and bring it to my attention!! Please check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really curious about this book, since the only thing I've read from Margareth Stohl is Beautiful Creature, where she had a co-writer. Can't wait read her own work! Great pick!
    Em @ A Beautiful Madness
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds amazing! Definitely going on my to read list!

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds really creepy but in a good way!!
    Very intriguing! :D

    ReplyDelete