Monday, October 29, 2012

Stop me if you've heard this one...

A group of supernatural brother warriors living together in a massive, overdecorated-with-priceless-works-of-art mansion with an underground training facility that includes an over-the-top gym.
The warriors curse a lot, speak in short, harsh sentences, and wear "shitkickers".
They also have weird names like Venom and Forge.
They can't go out during the day because it will kill them.
They have love-at-first-sight mates that they know are "theirs" and who they'd kill or die for.

Sound familiar? You might be thinking of J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. You'd be wrong.

I picked up FURY OF SEDUCTION (Dragonfury Series #3) by Coreene Callahan via Amazon Vine (seems logical, considering Montlake Romance is an imprint of Amazon Publishing), excited because it's a genre I love (paranormal romance) and the blurb sounded great:

Successful landscape designer Tania Solares prides herself on living by her own terms, relying on no man to provide for her. But her carefully controlled life takes a turn for the extraordinary when her inquiry into the disappearance of her best friend thrusts her between two warring factions of dragon-shifters. Suddenly Tania’s survival depends on Mac, a newly initiated dragon-warrior who will break every rule to keep her safe.

Now that Tania knows the truth about Dragonkind, returning to her old life is too grave a risk. Ivar, leader of the Razorbacks, plots to decimate the human race, and Tania is just the tool he needs. Despite the danger, Mac cannot deny her a choice: Trade the independence she’s fought so hard to achieve for safety in a magical world, or turn her back on the man she’s grown to love in order to reclaim a freedom that might not last? It is an impossible choice. And yet a sacrifice must be made…

See? Dragons and the end of the human race and, of course, lurve. Sounds most excellent.

I didn't like that Tania gives off a bit of a victim vibe with her actions. She doesn't really stand up for herself and isn't very aware of what's going on around her. Heading down to visit her sister in prison every other weekend, she berates herself for being a bad sister, even though there's a stalker prison guard who abuses his power with threats and taunts. 

As soon as Mac learned Tania was potentially in trouble (another stalker male who wants to take her for his own, then use her for breeding purposes and to taunt his enemies. Nice.), he freaks out and takes off without backup, thinking only mine and to protect the little woman. Who he's only met once. *sigh*

Sadly, this book ended up being a book breakup for me. While the story had potential, I just couldn't get past the similarities to a certain bestselling series or the insta-love (insta-possessiveness, more like). 

I feel a little bad about abandoning this book -- I'm afraid my reading and reviewing slump contributed to my harsh response. Maybe I'll have to pick it back up once I'm less cranky...or maybe I'll try her new series, which sounds pretty good.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound | Barnes and Noble

21 comments:

  1. Did you read the first book in this series?

    and hell, I hate books are just too familiar. I mean, BDB is cult and it seems stupid to take a similar approach.

    I also love Paranormal Romance like BDB and TLotU, so actually it's kind of sad this is just a rip off and nothing special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the first one in the series which makes me feel even more guilty for abandoning it (even with the BDB feel). And I do hate when books are too familiar!

      Delete
    2. Hey Danny and Mary. What is TLotU?

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the BDB series yet but I'm dying to! Sorry that this one didn't work out for you. It does sound like it has the potential to be really good though.

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BDB's pretty enjoyable! You should definitely try it out.

      Delete
  3. +JMJ+

    Your description of this series at the beginning of this post sounded so BDB that I didn't even blink at the "wrong" names Venom and Forge. LOL! But J.R. Ward's series actually paled for me really early, so if this one is going in a similar direction but trying to stay different, I might actually like it more! =P

    But taking into account your comments on this installment, I probably shouldn't start with it. While I don't mind a "helpless heroine" once in a while (because I have the sneaking feeling that I'm more like them than I care to admit to myself--Sigh!), any character, male or female, who enters a potentially lethal situation without backup is really annoying to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so not a fan of the helpless heroine. Maybe the others are better? I'm willing to give 'em a shot!

      Delete
  4. Eep. I think the similarities to BDB alone would be enough for me to not want to read this book. (I've read similar books like that before and blah. It does not go well.) Sorry you had to break up with this book, though. It's always a painful process. =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Does not go well. Still, I hate breakups.

      Delete
  5. Aww that's too bad, but it does sound a lot like BDB - though I've only read book 1 of it but I have read enough reviews of the rest to know what's going on in the basics. I guess it can be hard to write something original, but it's equally hard to enjoy it I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last statement--so true. And you should so go on with BDB. Very worth it!

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm. I'm definitely getting BDB vibes off this, and normally I don't mind if there are similarities to another world/series if the characters are amazing and unique in their own right, but that doesn't quite seem to be the case here. I know what you mean about your slump, I've stayed away from review books for the past 2 weeks because I knew my funkiness would affect my opinion of the book. I'm wading back into the reviewing waters today even though I'm still in my slump, we'll see how it goes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always mind when there are similarities, especially when it's something I enjoyed but you HAVE to be different enough to stand out.

      and slumps SUCK! Hope your reviewing waters are calm and warm!

      Delete
  7. LOL
    I did think it was too much like BDB from what you described and I'm sad too hear it didn't work out in the end. Also, don't think I would like the girl, particularly because of the whole victim vibe thing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so not a fan of the helpless chick.

      Delete
  8. I immediately thought BDB when you described it. You know what bothers me most about the similarities? The fact that they use the term sh-tkickers. Maybe other people use that word too, but it seems so quintessential BDB to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, too!! I was hanging in there until that term came up and then it was all over. Just too much.

      Delete
  9. Yeah it sounds too BDB to me. :( Sorry for the DNF. I have a lot of those on my table waiting for me to try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HATE THE DNF's!! Unless it was pure hate (which is unusual), I usually put them on my "try again at some point" stack.

      Delete
  10. Wow, those sound like some pretty specific similarities... I always find that awkward, and I kind of wonder if it borders on plagiarism. There's probably a very fine line, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have been annoyed. Mostly because I can only handle the BDB gangsta speak because I am invested. I don't mind that it is similar story wise but why do you wanna jack the annoying things too (kidding it would annoy me how similar they are)>

    ReplyDelete