Friday, October 12, 2012

Home Run Blog Tour: STEALING PARKER by Miranda Kenneally

Today, I'm excited to have Miranda Kenneally of CATCHING JORDAN fame (oh, holy cow such an adorable romance! One of my top 10 Reads of 2011) stopping by to answer that one question that all authors dread... 

*clears throat* "So, Miranda, where do you get your inspiration?" (Ah, it's the eternal question, isn't it?)

Geez, this is a pretty hard question. I get my inspiration from all over the place. From conversations I have with friends and people at work. From inside jokes with my husband. I read lots of books, and see how my favorite authors write plot arcs and characterization, and then I set out to do that too, but with my own edge. I often look through my junior and high school yearbooks to remind myself of how I felt when I was younger. I also like to read my old diaries. One time I got a book idea from a true fact under a Snapple lid. Another time I got a book idea because somebody had broken into my car!

I got the idea for the “Jerry Rice fake baby home ec” project in Catching Jordan because I remembered this time I was out on the football field in junior high, and a football player was pushing another player around in a stroller.

The best advice I ever got as a writer?
- An editor told me my strongest skill as an author is writing groups of teens goofing off and talking about nothing, so now I try to have my characters bantering while doing lots of wild and wacky things while trying to move the plot forward. And I have a great time doing it! I try to write silly scenes that I hope people will enjoy reading.


STEALING PARKER by Miranda Kenneally
YA Romance
245 pages, paperback
Available now (October 2012)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Review copy provided by publisher

After her family's scandal rocks their conservative small town, 17-year-old Parker Shelton goes overboard trying to prove that she won't turn out like her mother: a lesbian. The all-star third-baseman quits the softball team, drops 20 pounds and starts making out with guys--a lot. But hitting on the hot new assistant baseball coach might be taking it a step too far...especially when he starts flirting back.

Miranda Kenneally does it again! She's definitely one of the stars of the young adult romance genre and an auto-buy for me (to stock my classroom bookshelf, of course). 

A hot older boy, plenty of teen angst, some pretty serious mother issues, and a guy friend named Corndog (yes, really) make this a fabulously fun read. Parker's a bit hot to trot as she tries to prove something to the bullies who've tormented her since her mother came out and left with her girlfriend. Parker's definitely got some issues to overcome but she runs into a bit more than she can handle with the older (six years!) guy responds to her overtures.

STEALING PARKER is filled with plenty of banter, cute guys, a sweet girl, and -- yay! -- a baseball-field's worth of romance. 

Bonus: there's a cameo by Jordan and Henry!

Available on Amazon | IndieBound | Barnes and Noble

8 comments:

  1. LOVED this book and I think it was even more awesome than the first and .. I loved Catching Jordan! She's an amazing author and definitely on my auto-buy list too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to check out this book even though I didn't love Catching Jordan as much as everyone else - too me Jordan was stubbornly reckless about the whole football thing, but hey, I'm not a feminist so what do I know, right? - but I did like the sound of Stealing Parker, even though I can't remember her from CJ.

    Anyway, I hope I like it :D

    Thanks for the interview and the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy at Book Goonie loves these books and I have bought them for gifts! What a great interview and I imagine that inspiration is a hard question to answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so adored Catching Jordan Mary!!! It was awesome. This was a really cute read too, and I'm forever a fan of Miranda's now. She can keep on giving me the contemporary sports-related romances and I'll keep on devouring them in one sitting:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read Catching Jordan and am reading Stealing Parker now and I'm loving them! I especially love the banter with the characters. I hadn't thought of reading an old diary for inspiration, I like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I NEED to read these books! I haven't had the chance yet, but i'll definitely be picking both books up soon :)

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay I love Miranda! She'S definitely awesome at writing about teens who goof off. The character dynamics is what I love the most in her books! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this book!!

    Also love the idea of getting inspiration from all kinds of random things. =)

    ReplyDelete