Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Destiny Calls: ENTICE by Jessica Shirvington

ENTICE (The Violet Eden Chapters #2) by Jessica Shirvington
YA Paranormal Romance
464 pages, hardcover
Available now (September 2012)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

Violet Eden is Grigori - part angel, part human. Her destiny is to protect humans from the vengence of exiled angels.

Knowing who to trust is key but, when Grigori reinforcements arrive, it becomes clear everyone is hiding something. Even Lincoln. The only thing Violet does know: Phoenix's hold over her is more dangerous than ever. The race to find the one thing that could tilt the balance of power brings them all to the sacred mountains of Jordan, where Violet's power will be pushed to the extreme. And the ultimate betrayal exposed.

Positive: The mythology. There's an amazing amount of detail in this world--without those annoying info-dumps. The Grigori, the Scripture, the different angels and angelic powers all come together seamlessly to create an incredible world.

Positive: The tension between Lincoln and Violet. Violet did something very naughty in the first novel and Lincoln is so freakin' stubborn about forgiving her! Yes, it was really, really stupid of her to do that but she's a teen girl and, well, there are bound to be stupid decisions made. Violet really loves Lincoln and Lincoln likes (loves?) her but he's burying it beneath a cold, hard mask. Delicious tension abounds!

Positive: The other Grigori. Though the introductions are a bit overwhelming at the beginning (too many names, too quickly), there are some fantastic new characters including a pair of Grigori who are most definitely together and most definitely in love, which give Violet hope for her and Lincoln. And then there's Spence. Spence doesn't yet have his Grigori partner, which he's pretty bitter about, especially since he still has to do all the training and stuff while he's waiting around. He's cranky, snarky and a great new addition.

Wish: That Lincoln would just get over it. Yes, Violet messed up. But she was used and manipulated by a master manipulator who knew just the buttons to push. Lincoln needs to acknowledge that, realize that Violet is doing her best to apologize and make up for her mistake.

Overall: ENTICE is a fantastic follow-up to EMBRACE, filled with intriguing mythology, scorching desire and plenty of butt-kicking action.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound | Barnes and Noble

11 comments:

  1. OOoOoo I am just now listening to the first book! I love Angel themed stories and I always wanted to read this one! I'm excited to hear this second book is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely enjoying this angel series (I don't love 'em all...). How's the audiobook?

      Delete
  2. YEAH!!!! I loved all the tension between Lincoln and Violet as well, and Lincoln being stubborn didn't really bother me as much, mostly because I'm an insanely stubborn person and had someone I loved made the kind of mistake she did, it would take me a while to get over it. Fair given the circumstances? Nope. But I wouldn't be able to help it:) I'm really looking forward to their relationship in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind stubborn either but... I guess I just want them to get together! I think I'd be more like Lincoln if the person I loved did what Violet did, too. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

      Delete
  3. This does sound like a fantastic follow-up to the first book. I know this isn't my normal read but I do think I know someone who might like it. I am thinking holiday gift hmmmmmm! :)

    (The cover is fantastic--I like the darker greys)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By darker greys I mean how they play with the purples/blues/ect. It is like all of them are tinted with greyish undertones. I just realized that I didn't explain that LOL

      Delete
    2. LOL--surprisingly, I actually got that! I really like the cover--very pretty in a toned-down urban fantasy way. Yay for early book shopping!!

      Delete
  4. I know you had reviewed the first book of this series! Because it all sounds a little familiar.
    I like that this is kind of an angel book but it has an interesting mythology and all that!
    Violet sounds like a great character and so do the new guys :D even the snarky one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I reviewed the first one...did I? Gah. I've been at this too long--I can't remember! I did read it and really enjoyed it, though. Love an interesting mythology!

      Delete
  5. I haven't decided if I will read this series. That tension sounds like something that would drive my nuts. Most people seem to like the books but I'm just not finding myself dying to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Entice from BEA (where we together when we picked it up?) but still haven't read Embrace. I need to. People love the series.

    ReplyDelete