Sunday, September 16, 2012

Visit to the Dark Side: BITING COLD by Chloe Neill

A little heads up: If you haven't read or kept up with this series, there might be spoilers for you.  

BITING COLD (Chicago Vampires #6) by Chloe Neill
Urban Fantasy
352 pages, trade paperback
Available now (July 2012)
Publisher: NAL
Review copy purchased

Turned into a vampire against her will, twenty-eight-year-old Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago’s vampire underground, where she learned there was more to supernaturals than met the eye—and more supernaturals than the public ever imagined.And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans or non-humans.


Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed. No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on.


This is a Mallory-gone-bad book. And Merit's bestie, Mallory, has gone so very, very bad. She's cut out her friends, family, and lover, turned to the dark side, gone all Darth on them. It's not pretty and, of course, it's up to Merit to find the chick before she brings the Apocalypse down upon them all (okay, not literally the Apocalypse but damned near if she ever got her hands on the book of Maleficium).


Poor Merit. Girl can't just catch a break. What she really needs is some reunited-with-hot-resurrected-vampire-lovah time. Does she get this? No. Cadogan House is in serious jeopardy because of the meddling Presidium (stake those bastadas, already! They're really annoying.), under attack from the dastardly Seth Tate, who is so much fun to hate (rhyme time), and in danger of the evil Mallory will unleash if she has her way with the Maleficium.

A quibble (and spoiler): Mallory really needs to be locked up in a deep, dark and damp dungeon (ooh, alliteration) for the rest of her life. Almost destroying the city of Chicago and causing a boatload of damage in her quest to get the naughty book should have much more serious repercussions than what happened to her. I get that she's Merit's friend and she did bring back Ethan (again, for her own purposes) but she's turned to the Dark Side and once you go there, it's damned near impossible to go back.

As always, can't wait to see what happens next (there are ten scheduled with number seven, HOUSE RULES, scheduled to come out in Feb. 2013).

Available on Amazon | IndieBound | Barnes and Noble

3 comments:

  1. I only read the first book so I didn't read your review. I didn't love the first book so I'm not for sure if I will keep reading or not. I do know that sometimes first books in UF books just aren't my favorite but as I read on I love the series. So I feel I should give the second one a shot.

    Glad to see you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhm... so normally I got every book in this series the minute it came out. But ever since she killed of Ethan and than brought him back..ish I'm a little mad. Also, I loved Mallory and hearing now that she turned so bad? I'm not sure... totally not sure how I feel about this series..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, BOO! to Mallory. I don't think I'll be able to forgive her, even if Merit does. Neill was pressing the addiction analogy pretty hard, but it didn't really put things in perspective for me. Do you forgive someone for doing awful things because they have an addiction? GAH! I don't know.

    ReplyDelete