Saturday, August 18, 2012

Tiny heartbreaks: Book Breakups

After reading a glut of absolute awesomeness, I ran into a series of books I just couldn't get into. While I realize that not every book will suit me, I always go into a book with high hopes. Sadly, I had to break up with them.

YA SciFi
368 pages, hardcover
Available now (July 2012)
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Review copy provided by publisher via NetGalley

When plain and unpopular Annie Nutter gets zapped by one of her dad's whacked-out inventions, she lands in a parallel universe where her life becomes picture-perfect. Now she's Ayla Monroe, daughter of the same mother but a different father—and she's the gorgeous, rich queen bee of her high school. 

But on the inside, Ayla is still Annie. So when she's offered the chance to leave the dream life and head home to Pittsburgh, will she take it. The choice isn't as simple as you think.

A cute premise, non? I mean, at some point in their life, everyone's wished to change places with someone for whatever reason (me, I'd like to temporarily switch places with Thea Harrison or Stephen King or another awesome author, if only to get a glimpse inside their crazy brains). Switching a plain, boring life for a rich, awesome-sounding one seems like it's going to be awesome...even when the reader knows everything's going to go wrong.

Sadly, I just wasn't a fan of poor Annie in either of her incarnations. She played the poor me card a bit too often for my taste especially when she had a very quirky, loving family that a lot of people would kill for. So what if she didn't have money? Of course, that's the whole point. Anyway, I couldn't connect with Annie so this one was shelved.


YA Paranormal
288 pages, hardcover
Available August 28, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Review copy provided by publisher via NetGalley

Mia's ordinary life is disrupted in the most horrifying way possible when she is possessed by a hungry and powerful demon--and only saved by the arrival of relatives from Italy, the country her grandfather fled many decades ago. Now her cousins Emilio and Giuliano say the only way to keep her safe is for her to come back with them to Milan, to live, to learn Italian, to fall in and out of love, and to master the family trade: fighting all demons with the lore of bell, book, and candle. Milan is not what Mia expected, but it will change her forever, in this stunningly well-written novel about an American girl who, fleeing an ancient evil, finds her only salvation in her ancestral home.

I was so confused in this story...until I finally had to stop reading. While I enjoy some mystery and twists and turns in stories, I don't want to be confused or feel like I'm kept in the dark for too long. I need to know what's going on, be driven to read on with little teases and drops of information. Don't starve me, man! I'm a greedy girl who wants to know everything (though not all at once). As in the dark as Mia is about her family and the demon possession and everything Milanese, so was I. 

While I did enjoy the Milan aspect (Call me a travel 'ho. I can take it.), it wasn't enough to keep me reading.


Paranormal Romance
400 pages, paperback
Expected publication: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Review copy provided by publisher via NetGalley

A lapsed Wiccan, Indira Simon doesn't believe in magic anymore. But when strange dreams of being sacrificed to an ancient Babylonian god have her waking up with real rope burns on her wrists, she's forced to acknowledge that she may have been too hasty in her rejection of the unknown. Then she meets mysterious and handsome Father Tomas. Emerging from the secrecy of an obscure Gnostic sect, he arrives with stories of a demon, a trio of warrior witches-and Indira's sacred calling. Yet there's something even Tomas doesn't know, an inescapable truth that will force him to choose between saving the life of the woman he's come to love-and saving the world.

After striking out with a couple young adult novels, I tried to get over my broken reading heart with a paranormal romance. They usually do the trick but I guess I was still slumpy because this one just couldn't fix me. I think it was the priest. Sure, he's hot and questioning his faith but...he's a priest. Father Thomas. He's taboo, and I guess my Catholic background kicked in because I just couldn't accept him as the lust-worthy hero.

Then there's Indira, the lapsed Wiccan who floats back into her religion when it suits her. She keeps telling herself not to drool on the hot priest but can't seem to help herself. The premise is quite intriguing and I really wanted to like Indira and Thomas but it just didn't gel for me.


These Book Breakups are inspired by Lori at Pure Imagination (I don't know if she's the one who started this but her blog is where I saw it first so there you go!)

11 comments:

  1. Yikes! I gotta say that I don't think a priest would work for me either. At the same time it does make me a little. ;)
    None of these were on my tbr, so I guess that's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, he was losing his faith and probably ditched the priesthood eventually but...just no.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Having a priest as a love interest is kinda squicky. Reminds me of the Thornbirds. And I'm not even Catholic.

    Also, I hate HATE being confused in stories. Sometimes I plow through anyway, but I don't like it AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confusion in a story sucks. Mystery is good but you have to give the reader enough to keep plowing forward.

      Delete
  3. Sad to see Don't You Wish on here as I had read a rave review of it that initially put the book on my radar. But I really don't want to read about a heroine I want to shake, which is probably what would happen in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might not feel that way about her but she just annoyed me!

      Delete
  4. Uhm yes I don't think a Priest would do it for me either. I hate book break ups, you go into a story hoping to like it and the end up,being disappointed. I have to say, I have a weird relationship with Egmont books. For some reason I don't like their style. Often I found myself breaking up with their books too, so I stopped requesting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've had the same experience. Not really sure why...it's weird!

      Delete
  5. NO! I was really excited about Don't You Wish! I was really hoping that would be a good one, because I've heard good stuff about St. Claire's adult books. WAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you might really like it! The MC just annoyed me.

      Delete
  6. I broke up with a few series in my time. Others I have shelved until the whole thing is out---fool me once with a cliffhanger (ok) , fool me twice and you get shelved!

    ReplyDelete