Monday, August 6, 2012

Sucks to be dead: TWO WEEKS' NOTICE by Rachel Caine

Urban Fantasy
320 pages, paperback
Available: August 7, 2012
Publisher: Roc/Penguin
Review copy provided by publisher

After dying and being revived with the experimental drug Returne, Bryn Davis is theoretically free to live her unlife—with regular doses to keep her going. But Bryn knows that the government has every intention of keeping a tight lid on Pharmadene’s life-altering discovery, no matter the cost.

Fortunately, some things have changed for the better: Her job at the rechistened Davis Funeral Home is keeping her busy, and her fragile romance with Patrick McCallister is blossoming, thanks in part to their combined efforts in forming a support group for the Returne addicts. But when some of the group members suddenly disappear, Bryn wonders if the government is methodically removing a threat to their security or if some unknown enemy has decided to run the zombies into the ground...

Rachel Caine's adult novels are auto-buys for me, and her newest novel just strengthens my love of her writing. The worlds are beautifully built, the characters are multi-dimensional, and she has no fear about driving those characters right up to the brink...and, many times, right on over it.

In book two of the Revivalist series, Bryn Davis is back from the dead...again, still working with the government when forced, running the funeral home, and flirting with the most adorable and quite wealthy Patrick. But, of course, life doesn't stay that way. FBI agent Riley Block arrives on her doorstep, demanding she live up to the deal she made to remain "alive", and to go back into the place she fears the most--Pharmadene. 

Bryn having to depend on the government and a loony paranoid genius to remain mobile and aware and not rotting away into liquid sludge is bad enough to make anyone a nail-biter. But throw in a deep, extensive conspiracy from an unknown source(s)--one who is *doing things* to the Returne users--plus disappearing zombies, pushy FBI agents, and seemingly random attacks (that aren't really all random) on Bryn and her bodyguard Joe, means my nails were bitten to the quick by the time I got to the end.

At least Bryn has a safe place to live and some great people who really care about her. Most especially Patrick. Even though she currently lives at his house, they're not doing the deed or anything (at least not at the beginning...) but there's some massive flirting and touching and both the reader and the couple know that something's going to happen at some point. I love the anticipation of it all.

But I swear, Bryn and TWO WEEKS' NOTICE just about did me in--the last 1/4th of the book really ramps up the paranoia, action, and holy freakin' cow of it all to the next level. What the hell is Rachel Caine going to throw Bryn's way next?!?

18 comments:

  1. Note to self: Must read more adult! Really whenever I come here I realize about all those amazing books I apparently need to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I know--I tend to get bogged down (in a good way) with YA but there are so many good adult ones, too. Guess I'm just on a UF kick lately!

      Delete
  2. I have this book on my wishlist! I can't believe it comes out tomorrow :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe I haven't read any of Rachel Caine's adult books? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME MARY!!! I really enjoy the Morganville Vampires, so I know I love how she writes and her characters, I just need to get going on her adult series. The last quarter of this book sounds epic:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny! What are you thinking?!? You've GOT to at least TRY her adult series!! Start with either this one or the Weather Warden one (loved the Weather Warden series--soooo good!).

      Delete
  4. I guess I need to read the first book that's on my shelf then!! I LOVE stories like this and I'm so glad that you enjoyed the second book! It is awesome when books pick up at super speed towards the end that keeps you reading and guessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Totally with you. Read it! Love it!

      Delete
  5. I love it when author's aren't afraid to take risks with their main characters and what they put them through. It makes stories so much more interesting :)

    Great review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. And Caine is soooo mean to her characters! Yahoo!

      Delete
  6. Is this a first of series or a stand alone?
    Can be read on it's own?
    'cause you got me in with the whole Patrick-flirting thing!!
    The book sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second in a series but it can definitely be read on its own. This author's great about reviewing what happened without bogging an old reader down. But of a cliffhanger with this one, though, so you'll *have* to read the next one (I'm already anticipating).

      Delete
  7. I have the first book in this series but I haven't got around to reading it yet. I have a feeling that I need to change that very soon! This one just sounds so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked the second one better than the first for some reason (I can't remember why...). But this is a great new series!

      Delete
  8. I'd love to read Rachel's adult books. Do you read Morganville too? I can't remember. They're a total potato chip read for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Morganville series. A bit different than her adult ones but she still is so rough on them (I mean the one's a ghost for goodness sake!). I'd start with the Weather Warden series & see if you like it.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read this series but I got this one so I might just dive in and give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only read Rachel's Morganville series. I think I might try this one out. Awesome review.

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete