Thursday, August 9, 2012

Speed Date with Ree: GEEKOMANCY by Michael R. Underwood

Urban Fantasy
255 pages, ebook (only)
Available now (July 2012)
Publisher: Pocket Star
Review copy purchased

Ree Reyes’ life was easier when she just had to worry about scraping together tips from her gig as a barista-and-comicshop slave wage in the port city of Pearson to pursue her ambitions as a screenwriter.

When a scruffy-looking guy storms into the shop looking for a comic like his life depends on it, Ree writes it off as just another day in the land of the geeks. Until a gigantic ‘BOOM!’ echoes from the alley a minute later, and Ree follows the rabbit hole into Pearson’s magical flip-side. Here, astral cowboy hackers fight trolls, rubber-suited werewolves and Elegant Gothic Lolita fate witches by channeling genre tropes and wielding nostalgia-powered props.

Ree joins Eastwood (aka scruffy guy), investigating a mysterious string of teen suicides as she tries to avoid imploding after her own drag-your-heart-through-jagged-glass breakup. But as she digs deeper, Ree discovers Eastwood may not be the knight-in-cardboard-armor she thought. Will Ree be able to stop the suicides, save Eastwood from himself, and somehow keep her job?

Are you a geek about anything and everything SciFi or Fantasy? Then you have the power of GEEKOMANCY. Use your powerful knowledge of comic books, Star Trek, Dungeons and Dragons, and all things geek culture to destroy your enemies and level up in this dangerous underground paranormal world. Of course, you actually destroy said comic or nerdly relic when you use it but, when you're life's on the line, what's a limited edition, signed light saber?

Ree is a true geek girl and, when she discovers she can use her knowledge to kick a little ass, she's all in. Fast-paced and fun, filled with a ridiculous amount of nerd knowledge, GEEKOMANCY is a rockin' good time. I really hope there's a follow-up to this awesome story!

Available on Amazon | Barnes and Noble



11 comments:

  1. Seriously who doesn't love geeks and nerds:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks cute. I'm not much of a comic book girl, other than manga. But I'm definitely a geek in many ways. I'll have to check this out

    ReplyDelete
  3. That title is kind of weird but it got my attention, so that's good. Glad it was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Sci-fi, not so much fantasy but it depends what type. I'm so curious about this one it sounds really different! And weird. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gotta say, I love the cover! I'm not sure about the storyline, but the cover looks amazing with the female character :D (I think it might be because of the glasses, but who knows - she does look like a kickass librarian though :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a surprisingly good read! And I'm loving the title! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for nerd knowledge! I know nothing about Star Trek or Dungeons and Dragons or any other epic SciFi related awesomeness, but I still think this sounds like a really fun book:) Maybe after reading I'll know all I need to know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds really good!!
    I think I love the idea 'cause then I got the power!!! LOL

    Great speed date :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow this one sounds surprisingly great! :) I hope I can find the chance to get this one in the future!!

    ReplyDelete