Thursday, August 16, 2012

Speed date with Elvie: MOTHERSHIP by Martin Leicht and Isla Neal

YA Science Fiction
320 pages, hardcover
Available now (July 2012)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books For Young Readers 
Review copy provided by publisher via Amazon Vine for honest review

Teen pregnancy is never easy—especially not when extraterrestrials are involved. The first in a new trilogy.

Elvie Nara was doing just fine in the year 2074. She had a great best friend, a dad she adored, and bright future working on the Ares Project on Mars. But then she had to get involved with sweet, gorgeous, dumb-as-a-brick Cole—and now she’s pregnant.

Getting shipped off to the Hanover School for Expecting Teen Mothers was not how Elvie imagined spending her junior year, but she can go with the flow. That is, until a team of hot commandos hijacks the ship—and one of them turns out to be Cole. She hasn’t seen him since she told him she’s pregnant, and now he’s bursting into her new home to tell her that her teachers are aliens and want to use her unborn baby to repopulate their species? Nice try, buddy. You could have just called.

So fine, finding a way off this ship is priority number one, but first Elvie has to figure out how Cole ended up as a commando, work together with her arch-nemesis, and figure out if she even wants to be a mother—assuming they get back to Earth in one piece.

Over-the-top, snort-inducing fun, that's what MOTHERSHIP is. Elvie makes a mistake (of the "Oops, I just fell on it and got pregnant" kind) and winds up on a repurposed, floating cruise ship with a bunch of other pregnant teens. She's not pleased, especially since her least-favorite person is also aboard and just as knocked up as Elvie.

Then the ship's attacked and the boy who knocked the both of them up appears as one of the rescuers and things get...weird. While the whole "aliens repopulating their species and, oh yeah, there are bad aliens out to kill them" storyline is a bit silly, no one ever said this was anything more than brain candy. 

The ending leaves something to be desired though, especially since I don't feel there's enough there for a whole series (it would have been much better as a stand-alone). But, that aside, it was a cute read.




10 comments:

  1. I liked this too and its def just brain candy. I thought it was funny but I think I wanted it even more funny.
    I don't know about sequel or series but I think maybe that end opened it up for something. Hopefully its not just another book with bad aliens chasing them.
    LOVED her dad! Holy cow, he was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like cute reads.I'll definitely check this out :)

    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds crazy! In a totally good way, of course! Sometimes brain candy is all you want. I know that I'm in that mood right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second hilarious review for this book I've seen, I really need to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Oops I fell on it and got pregnant"? Hahahahahahaha *dies* Love it:) I like a book that doesn't pretend to be anything other than pure entertainment, and this sounds like that kind of read. Doesn't take itself seriously, is silly and weird, and makes you laugh. Gotta love those every now and then, even if the ending is a bit less than you would have liked it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so damn funny. It's been a while since I giggled openly while reading (I mean, I giggled during 50 Shades, but not because the author wanted me to).

    And while we're on the subject, have you read Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging? It's also a cute, hilarious read, though maybe a bit more juvenile than this.

    I love your blog, btw! You definitely have a new follower in me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Oops, I just fell on it and got pregnant"

    Man, Mary, I just snorted pop out my nose when I read that. You need a disclaimer with this review. I remember seeing this cover a few days ago and making a mental note to check it out later, and now thanks to your review, I will definitely be adding this to my list when I need a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read this book, it sounds fun and different and, well, fun :D
    The review is awesome!!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the trailer for this one, so I'm happy to hear that the book is just as good. Though, I'm not too happy to hear that it's been forced to be series. What's so wrong with a good stand-alone?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds super cute! I will be thinking hard about it with the caveat that I will be upset at the ending LOL

    ReplyDelete