Thursday, August 2, 2012

Speed Date with Cowboy Joe: THE COWBOY TAKES A BRIDE by Lori Wilde

Romance
348 pages, paperback
Available now (March 2012)
Publisher: Avon
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

Ex-champion bull rider-turned-cutting-horse cowboy Joe Daniels isn't quite sure how he ended up sleeping in a horse trough wearing nothing but his Stetson and cowboy boots. But now he's wide-awake, and a citified woman is glaring down at him. His goal? Get rid of her ASAP. The obstacle? Fighting the attraction he feels toward the blond-haired filly with the big, vulnerable eyes.

When out-of-work wedding planner Mariah Callahan learns that her estranged father has left her a rundown ranch in Jubilee, she has no choice but to accept it. Her goal? Redeem her career by planning local weddings. The obstacle? One emotionally wounded, hard-living cowboy who stirs her guilt, her heartstrings, and her long-burned cowgirl roots...

When you find a super-hot, nekkid cowboy asleep in your horse trough, what's your first reaction? Personally, I think mine might be to strip and jump on in with him. Especially if he's as hot as Joe Daniels. But Mariah's first reaction, after peeking into the murky water, is to poke him awake and try to throw him off her property.

Mariah and Joe are an interesting couple--both struggling to get past some pretty difficult times, both a bit insecure in their own ways (Joe, of course, hides it behind his brash cowboy demeanor)--and they have a lot to work through to get to the HEA.

A bit too much death and drama for a story that starts out so cute but I liked the characters and the setting so it turned out to be an enjoyable read.


6 comments:

  1. haha! yes! which sane girl (who is also single) would throw him away!!?!?!? Seems like a cute book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been tempted by cowboys, but since I'm moving to Montana I guess I'll have to get to know them. I keep telling my husband we should get a horse (despite the fact that I've ridden a horse only once or twice). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it doesn't sound like it would have lots of drama and death from the blurb, but it does sound like a good story.
    Thanks for the speed date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So. I think I'm slightly delusional today because I first thought the title said "The Cowboy Takes a Ride" and my mind immediately went in the gutter and I was all "what kind of dirtiness has Mary got for me today?" and then I looked again and realized my error. Luckily though, your review starts out with a naked cowboy, so I can't be too disappointed ;-) I would do same as you and climb right in there with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a weakness for cowboys and this one sounds mighty spicy. ;) Haha. Also, LOL at Jenny's first thought on the title. I THOUGHT THE SAME THING. But that title probably wouldn't be too far off from the story I'm guessing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO! Oh Mary! You kill me... despite the fact that I'd probably want to do the same. And I'm sure you might have noticed a few of my rants about too much death and drama, but I think I could be okay with that in this book because of the nekkid cowboy! YeeeeeHaw!

    ReplyDelete