Monday, August 20, 2012

PUSHING THE LIMITS Read-A-Long: Week 4

This fabulous event is hosted by Candace Book Blog, Natalia @ Dazzling Reads, The Page Turners, Mary @ The Book Swarm and Bewitched Bookworms.
Please check the intro post about the “Rules” and the Grand Prize.
Get a copy: Amazon | B&N | Indiebound |Book Depository
Find Katie McGarry:  website | Facebook | Twitter
And… for those who would rather win a copy and join the discussion later, we have a finished copy for you to win.

Schedule:

Special Event August 28th – Live Twitter Chat with Author Katie McGarry!

1. At a certain moment, Echo tells Noah that she feels safe with him. Echo thinks that because of this comforting feeling, she may be able to finally have a full night of peaceful sleep. Why do you think it is important for Echo to feel safe? And why no one else but Noah has been able to provide this to Echo?

Echo hasn't felt herself in a long time so it's got to be a huge relief when she finally has some comfort that makes her feel secure. Noah seems to be the only one to provide this comfort because he's willing to listen to her and look beneath her surface.

2. Beth, Noah's friend, also has a very complex life situation plus she also does drugs. However, what grabs my attention is her mean behavior towards Echo. Why do you think Beth hates/dislikes Echo so much?

Beth has very little to comfort her in this world, except for Noah and Isaiah. Then Echo shows up and threatens that small amount of security--it's no wonder Beth gets all up in Echo's face.

3.  At some point, we finally get to know how Noah's parents died at the fire and how it started. Unfortunately, this is something that has happened before. What tips to avoid a fire (especially when there are kids at home) do you know about?

What a terrible tragedy! It completely destroyed the family and tore the brothers apart. I'll always remember in grade school when we visited the fire department and learned all about Stop, Drop and Roll! Spot the Fire Dog taught us all about having a pre-planned escape route and a family meeting place. That dog knew his fire safety!

4. Echo finally discovers more about what really happened to her the day she got her scars at her mother's place. Unfortunately, this also involved Echo's father and Ashley. What do you think about them and to what point do you think it makes them responsible to what happened to Echo? 

Even though I think it's terrible they both kept this devastating event from Echo, I also believe her father was just trying to protect his daughter (and Ashley just went along with it--poor, bubble-headed girl). He knows how much her mother means to her. It's also easier for him to sweep the whole incident under the carpet and pretend like it didn't happen. Echo's more tractable when she's confused (and he likes 'em dopey and agreeable. See Ashley.).

5. On p.303 (of ARC) Echo said to Noah: "I love you...[y]ou love your brothers more. I'm okay with that. In fact, it's one of the things I love about you. You were right the other day. I do want to be part of a family. But I'd never forgive myself if I was the reason you didn't get yours... I love you enough to never make you choose."  What do you think of Echo's decision to break up with Noah? What does it mean to you?

I think it's pretty selfless of Echo to break up with Noah, especially considering he's the only one who makes her feel safe and loved. It might not be the right thing to do but it's definitely kind of her, since she does know how much Noah's brothers mean to him. With Echo out of his life, he can focus on pulling his family together.


QUESTIONS FOR WEEK 5
(Our last week--how sad!):

Pages 317 (Noah Chapter)-end

1. By finally returning to her art, Echo is working through her issues and taking control of her life. While she’s not ever going to return to her previous “normal”, she uses her art as a way to work her way to a place where she’s more comfortable with herself. How do you deal with the issues and stresses of your life?

2. Once Noah gives his brothers and their soon-to-be adoptive parents a happy ending, he decides to get his own by winning Echo back. Why does he think stealing her file is the best way to do it? Any other (better) suggestions for the poor boy?

3. Echo finally uncovers the terrible truth of what her mother did to her. Now that we know the truth, do you think Echo’s father did the right thing by covering up the incident and keeping it from her? How do you think he should have handled it?

4. Mrs. Collins plays an integral role in helping Echo and Noah find a new normal and happiness in their lives. Tell us about someone in your life who helped you, someone who changed your life, was there for you, or offered help/comfort when you most needed it (or when you didn’t know you needed it).

5. Another major truth is revealed when Echo’s father finally opens up to his daughter and tells her about her mother and how his relationship with Ashley evolved. Knowing this, how do you feel about Ashley now? And what did you think when you learned the name of the baby?

6. Echo and Noah ride off into the sunset together. *happy sigh* If you had the chance, who would you ride off with and where would you go?




8 comments:

  1. *sniffles* there was a lot of heartbreak and sadness in these chapter and... I cried.. a few times!!

    Initially, I truly didn't like Beth but this was mostly because I didn't get her! I didn't understand her behavior. Now, I think I do understand her a bit better!

    Also, no, I do not think Echo's father and Ashley can be blamed here... No one could have know how deep Echo's mom drived away this time..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--Beth was such a beyotch the first couple of times we met her. Now, I really want to read her story!

      Delete
  2. While I think it was very selfless of Echo to break things off with Noah so he wouldn't have to choose between her and her family, it was also something that made me roll my eyes. I wanted her to exhaust every possible option of them being together as well as him getting his family back before making that decision. So much angst:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo much angst and drama in this whole story--love it!

      Delete
  3. I'm with Danny in that I initially didn't like Beth. But once I got to know her better I understood her more.
    I have mixed feelings with her dad. I do feel he liked to pretend it didn't happen. He didn't want to have to acknowledge his blame I guess.
    I'm also with Jenny in that it was selfless of Echo to break up with him but I was a bit annoyed and frustrated too as they should have tried harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the frustrated with Echo bit--she gave him up so easily! No, Echo, don't! Fight!

      Delete
  4. Beth was very meh for me at the beginning, she barely registered but later I grew to like her.
    Also, at this point I thought Echo's father was misguided but not necessarily evil, I mean the stuff they were keeping from Echo must have been hard on him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she was trying so hard to be a bad arse. And Echo's dad really was misguided, thinking of himself and not his daughter.

      Delete