Tuesday, August 14, 2012

PUSHING THE LIMITS Read-A-Long: Week 3

This fabulous event is hosted by Candace Book Blog, Natalia @ Dazzling Reads, The Page Turners, Mary @ The Book Swarm and Bewitched Bookworms.
Please check the intro post about the “Rules” and the Grand Prize.
Get a copy: Amazon | B&N | Indiebound |Book Depository
Find Katie McGarry:  website | Facebook | Twitter
And… for those who would rather win a copy and join the discussion later, we have a finished copy for you to win.

Schedule:

Special Event August 28th – Live Twitter Chat with Author Katie McGarry!

1. In the beginning of this section Noah decides to ignore Echo because he's angry and hurt.  What did you think of this?  Have you ever experienced a friendship that went awry and they started ignoring you?

Holy cow, that's the worst feeling in the world. Senior year of college, my roommate decided I offended her in some way (she never told me how or explained any of it), started acting wonky, talking behind my back and running me down in our circle of friends. Luckily, my other friends didn't pay much attention to what she said but it made for a very uncomfortable last year. Which really sucked. So, while I kind of understood why Noah did it, I needed for him to get over it quickly and forgive Echo.

2. Noah has a bit of a false reputation.  Everyone thinks he's a big druggie and a guy that just randomly hooks up with girls.  While some of it is true to a certain extent, we see it's not really him.  Have you ever had a false reputation where people draw their own conclusions?  Do you think Noah should do something to make people not think that about him?

I think Noah actually perpetuates this rep, acting how he does. And I can't really blame him, considering how the foster care system failed him. But he needs to lose that chip on his shoulder and grow up, too.

3. Ashley finds out she's having a boy and informs Echo she will have a brother 'again'.  Echo took this very personally and was extremely upset.  Do you think Echo overreacted?  Do you think Ashley meant that the new brother would replace her brother?

I think Ashley's just a bubble-headed dingbat and didn't mean that the baby would be a replacement. Ashley's a pain in the butt and if I were in Echo's place I'd hate the chick so I don't really blame Echo for overreacting (plus, she's a teenager. Overreaction is her middle name.)

4. Echo doesn't remember what happened with her mother and for this reason she has troubles seeing her the way everyone else does.  She can't seem to not miss her and still wants to talk to her.  Do you think she should pursue finding her mom?  Do you think it will help her or do you think she would be in danger?

Well, no one else is telling her what happened, even though it seems they know, so it's up to her to find out, if she ever wants to get back her memories. Even though it's traumatic and obviously a terrible event, considering she blanked it out, I think she needs to figure out what happened, even if there is danger. If she doesn't, it'll gnaw at her and she won't be able to move on.

5. Noah doesn't trust the people who have his brothers because of his own past situations.  He decides to seek out a lawyer himself and try to get custody.  Do you think this is his best move?  Do you think there are some other options he should consider? 

I think it's a terrible move but he wants his family back together and feels it's his only choice. It would ruin his chances at a "normal" life, at a good future, but I also think it's honorable and very typically Noah that he puts his brothers and family above his own needs. What he really needs to do is stop judging everyone by his horrible past experiences and try to talk to the foster parents.

6. Echo finds out that Noah and his parents built houses for Habitat for Humanity.  Have you ever volunteered for something like that?  What is a cause that you feel strongly about?

I love that! Actually, I volunteered for Habitat in college and just a couple of years ago. It's so cool working with the people who will actually live in the house you're helping to build. I'm not usually so hands-on though, preferring to donate to groups like the WWF, North Shore Animal League, and other animal-related charities.

Visit CANDACE'S BOOK BLOG and DAZZLING READS for Week 4 Questions!



6 comments:

  1. Great answers! I hate when friends suddenly turn on you. I'm so sorry you had to go through that!
    I agree about Noah, I get why he lets the rep be and even encourages it but he does need to lose the chip on his shoulder and grow up and grow up.

    Good for you for helping organizations when you can! I love that Katie added that bit in about Habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is interesting! I should have taken part in this :)
    The first question (about the friend ignoring you) has happened to me before too :)


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done work with Habitat too through various companies I have worked through. There is such a feeling of doing something good that comes with it :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your college roommate! Did you ever find out what set her off and made her decide you were not her favorite person? And very cool that you helped with habitat for humanity, my brother was a huge volunteer as well until he joined the Peace Corps. I always felt I'd be more of a hindrance than a help on a construction site, so I've always stuck with animal rescue organizations:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sorry about your college roommate! That couldn't have been fun to deal with. It always sucks when someone decides they're angry with you, and refuses to even tell you why they're upset.

    I swear, some of the things Ashley said in this book made me wish I could jump into the pages and shake some sense into her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great questions!!
    I think this was the part of the book where I struggled with Noah a little, I wanted him to get over himself and grow up, but it was because I liked him so much not because I didn't (if that makes sense).

    I think Noah likes the rep he has, at least until he realizes it's not helping him to get more time with his family. Same goes for the looking for the lawyer thing, he sees it as his only way because he's not really open to other options because what happened to him.

    I thought Ashley was a bit insensitive, but the one that should have stepped up there was her dad and her dad was just as clueless. And I could understad Echo's need to figure things out because a) it's her life, b) she's a teenager and people forbidding her something, of course she wants to do it.

    Well, I never did Habitat for Humanity but up until I finished prep school, I got involved in several drives for relief efforts, particularly when hurricanes hit the coast, and I had a few friends who did go down to the costal towns to help re-build houses. My mom and I still try to donate whenever there is a drive for something, though. But I never feel like we do enough :(

    And that sucks about your roommate, but at least your other friends didn't buy into it.

    ReplyDelete