Monday, August 13, 2012

Purple Perfection: ENDLESSLY by Kiersten White

YA Paranormal
389 pages, hardcover
Available now (July 2012)
Publisher: Harper Teen
Review copy purchased

Evie's paranormal past keeps coming back to haunt her. A new director at the International Paranormal Containment Agency wants to drag her back to headquarters. The Dark Faerie Queen is torturing humans in her poisonous realm. And supernatural creatures keep insisting that Evie is the only one who can save them from a mysterious, perilous fate.

The clock is ticking on the entire paranormal world. And its fate rests solely in Evie's hands.

So much for normal.

Positive: The characters. Oh, Evie! You're so awesome. And Reth and Lend and Raquel and Jack (oh, Jack!) and Lend's dad and all the other supes and even the bad guys. They're all fabulously drawn, filled with depth, passion, and heart. Y'all bleeping rock!

Positive: The romance. Evie and Lend have a fantastic relationship built on mutual attraction, trust, and love. It's been hard work for both of them and even in this story, their road is not a simple or easy one. With no insta-love or all-consuming, gotta-have-him-or-I'll-die-blerg-ness (thank you, God--amen!), Evie and Lend make a fabulous couple, a model I'd like to see more of, especially in young adult novels. *waves wand* *makes it happen*

Positive: The very satisfying ending. While I'm sad to see The End, it's been a great ride, and I appreciate Kiersten White's decision to finish up this series and move on to something new. Many times, series can go on too long, limping along like a bewildered zombie, dropping body parts along the way. Better to take off its head and end it cleanly.

Wish: I'm not actually sure I have any wishes for this novel or even for the series. If forced, I guess it would be that Evie and Lend didn't have to make such a heart-wrenching decision at the end but even that was something I don't think I'd change because it added depth and character.

Overall: If you haven't read this series, what are you waiting for? There's simply no excuse for missing out on Evie and her adventures (complete with Tasey, the bejeweled pink taser!).

15 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail!!
    I can't wait! I've loved this series and it's one of the few times when I think HYPE was entirely justified :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rare the hype lives up to my expectations but this series definitely made me happy.

      Delete
  2. The ending is great? THANK GOD! I've been wary of picking up supernaturally because I wasn't sure how it would end.I think I need to pick up the second book ASAP!
    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Definitely worth reading the whole series (the second book is good but not my fave).

      Delete
  3. "Many times, series can go on too long, limping along like a bewildered zombie, dropping body parts along the way. Better to take off its head and end it cleanly."

    And this is why I love you Mary. You are hilarious. Such an apt analogy though, I couldn't agree more. There are many a series I wish would have ended after just a couple books:) I still need to read Supernaturally, but I have this one in my TBR pile so I can't wait to get to them. I loved book 1 and I'm ready for more Evie and company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL--I live to entertain. Heh. Evie et al definitely kept me entertained and you'll get to read the second and third right in a row which will make it even better!

      Delete
  4. Yes, this was so super cute and a really perfect ending. I didn't like the 2nd book as much as I would have hoped (Evie's attitude and choices really annoyed me), but this one brought back what I loved from the first book. Totally agree re: ending the series. It was a good concrete ending, and I think it definitely would have dragged if there were more books. ALSO agree re: the romance. Evie/Lend are super cute, and I love how they choose to be together and fight for each other, but don't need each other breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree about the second book. Thank goodness the third completely reminded me why I love this series!

      Delete
  5. So you are saying you might have liked it? Just a little bit? The series might be one to read?

    I love when my peeps love their reads! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little bit... hey, if you're in the mood for cute and fun, check it! (I get all excited when people get all jazzed about a book or series, too!)

      Delete
  6. Yeah I thought this had the perfect ending. I'm really going to miss Evie though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, we weren't totally gripped by the first book in this series, but it sounds like things improve as it goes along. Perhaps we'll have to look into books 2 and 3 after all. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading the first book and thinking it was a fun story. Sounds like I need to continue on with the books! :)

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOOOOOOVEE Evie!!!! and I am so freaking sad this series is over! Evie was such an unique bouncy and cute character!!! I was sad and happy to read this final book! It was a worthy ending..*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the first book, but the second one...not so much. I'm kinda nervous about reading this one, because I don't know if I'll like it or not, but I feel like I owe it to my love of Evie to finish the series :)

    ReplyDelete