Friday, August 10, 2012

Into the woods: DARKLANDS by Nancy Holzner

Urban Fantasy
336 pages, paperback
Available now (July 2012)
Publisher: Ace
Review copy provided by publisher for hones review

They call it Deadtown: the city’s quarantined section for its inhuman and undead residents. Most humans stay far from its border—but Victory Vaughn, Boston’s only professional demon slayer, isn’t exactly human…

Boston’s demons have been disappearing, and Vicky’s clients are canceling left and right. While fewer demons might seem like a good thing, Vicky suspects foul play. A missing Celtic cauldron from Harvard’s Peabody museum leads her to an unwelcome conclusion: Pryce, her demi-demon cousin and bitter enemy, is trying to regain his full powers.

But Pryce isn’t alone. He’s conjured another, darker villain from Vicky’s past. To stop them from destroying everything she loves, she’ll have to face her own worst fear—in the realm of the dead itself.

It's the fourth book and Vicky is in deep doo-doo. Oh, it starts out alright with career day at Tina's school for zombies...until the harpies attack. Then it's all downhill from there. Vicky's nutter cousin, Pryce, is determined to regain his powers and wreak havoc and Vicky's got to find a way to stop him without getting dead.

Of course, this all happens right as she's finally accepted her werewolf boyfriend's invitation to join him at the monthly retreat (a huge step for Vicky, who's been reluctant to take her relationship to the next level), her niece coming into her powers, and a scheduled family day. All of which she has to miss to save the world.

Vicky really grew as a person in this story, finally resolving her serious guilt over her father's death and coming to terms with her feelings about Kane (with a little push from a gorgeous and grasping werechick who'd like nothing more than to get her claws into Kane). And, beyond the classroom scene at the beginning of the story, Tina the Zombie Teen is nowhere in sight (she was the reason I couldn't make it through HELLFORGED--so flippin' annoying!). A bit more Kane-time would have been appreciated, though he made every single scene he was in count. What a good guy, one who truly loves Vicky and isn't afraid to step up and show her so.

With solid pacing, fabulous character growth, and an intriguing plotline, DARKLANDS continues the tradition it started as a fantastic urban fantasy series.

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this series before but you had me at zombies and harpy :)


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good--love the variety of supernaturals in it.

      Delete
  2. I think I might love Kane a little:) He sounds delicious, though I do wish there was more of him in this one (even though I haven't read any of them). I always want more time with sexy love interests! You are on a UF kick lately aren't you? Love it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally on a UF kick! I do that sometimes--my YA books are languishing (though I have a ton I need to review).

      I love Kane. He's Alpha without being a jackass. Always good, right?

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure I have at least 2 of these books from this series. Penguin has sent them to me but I haven't tried them out yet. I think I'll have to get on them ASAP! :)

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ THEM! They're great if you're a UF fan! (although Tina's a bit annoying...to me, anyway)

      Delete
  4. Is it totally shallow of me that that I dont like the cover and I'm totally put off by it?
    LOL

    Ok, my lack of depth aside, I think the book sounds really good, and I like the sund of the werewolf boyfriend :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Not shallow. Well, a little. But I'm right there with you. The covers in this series are just not appealing. I don't know if they're too busy or maybe it's just her hair...(yeah, that's not shallow at all!)

      But the werewolf BF definitely makes up for it!

      Delete