Friday, August 3, 2012

End of an era: THIRTEEN by Kelley Armstrong

Urban Fantasy
464 pages, hardcover
Available now
Publisher: Penguin/Dutton
Review copy purchased

A war is brewing—the first battle has been waged and Savannah Levine is left standing, albeit battered and bruised. She has rescued her half brother from supernatural medical testing, but he’s fighting to stay alive. The Supernatural Liberation Movement took him hostage, and they have a maniacal plan to expose the supernatural world to the unknowing.

Savannah has called upon her inner energy to summon spells with frightening strength, a strength she never knew she had, as she fights to keep her world from shattering. But it’s more than a matter of supernaturals against one another—both heaven and hell have entered the war; hellhounds, genetically modified werewolves, and all forces of good and evil have joined the fray.

Uniting Savannah with Adam, Paige, Lucas, Jaime, Hope, and other lost-but-not-forgotten characters in one epic battle, Thirteen is a grand, crowd-pleasing closer for Armstrong’s legions of fans.

I have a serious book hangover from this end-of-a-series but no morning-after regrets. With BITTEN, this world started out populated only by werewolves--most notably, the only female werewolf and The North American Pack, Alphaed by Jeremy--and quickly expanded into a supernatural-filled universe with multiple standalone novels interconnected by slim, silvery spider webs.

The last two books in this series, WAKING THE WITCH and SPELLBOUND, revolved around Savannah, the daughter of Kristof and Eve, and mucho-powerful witch (well, until something turned her powers down to almost nothing--she spits mostly sparks nowadays). The center of a massive web of connections, she might not be the most popular choice for main character of this series-ender but she's actually the perfect one.

It's so good to see all the characters I've grown to love (and hate) working together (and against one another) to save humanity from a deadly virus (or destroy it, depending on what side they're on). And, though Savannah is the main narrator, other characters do pop by to add their two cents to the final battle (yay for Jamie and Elana!). Love and romance, action and destruction, jetting around the country like their hair is on fire...this book does not slow down for one hot second. Not even in the multiple jail cells that Little Miss Savannah finds herself in.

While it's not a completely happily-ever-after (and, really, should it be?), it is an incredibly satisfying resolution to an amazing and expansive series that is tops among its urban fantasy/paranormal counterparts.

12 comments:

  1. Wow ... this really sounds likt the end of an era. I have never picked this series up although I always wanted to. Maybe the werewolves threw me off. I am not a big wolfie fan. Glad the series was brought to an satisfying ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read the first two books but its a series that I really need to catch up on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't started this series but I love Kelly Armstrong and if the last book is good (As you say) I think I might give this one a shot :)


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need! I need! I need to read this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read Bitten and Stolen, I really need to read the rest of this series! I love the way Kelley Armstrong writes, and I think her characters are always layered and really really interesting. Clay and Elena are of course favorites since they're the only ones I know, but I'm looking forward to some of the others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you loved this one, Mary! :) I loved this series when she wrote about Elana (sp?) and I think I need to jump back in to read about the others. :) Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an intense series. But it also sounds fantastic!! Maybe I need to try these books out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm definitely going to try out these books, particularly now that the series is done.
    I love Kelley'sYA books but I've never ventured into her grown up world so I'm gonna give it a go.

    I'm glad this finale was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just skimming your review since I haven't read this series yet. I really want to. Everyone raves about Kelley's books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you said about a book hang over, that is such a great description.
    Thanks for review,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMg I have to continue this series I only read up to like book 11 or 10. I'm so happy that it's a good ending I'm always scared it's gonna be so underwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading this one now! I have a little bit of a different perspective, because I only joined in the series at Waking the Witch, so Savannah is the only character who I've seen as a protagonist. Still, I'm planning on going back and reading the rest of the series eventually, and I'm glad that I could jump in three books ago and not feel lost! :)

    ReplyDelete