Monday, July 16, 2012

Thea Harrison Elder Races Novellas Triple Shot

I've got to say, I love this new trend of snacks (novellas) between meals (novels). Even though it's a lot of work for the authors, it's so worth it--it keeps the author's name out in front of the public, and builds excitement for the upcoming novel. As for Thea Harrison, she's one of my auto-buy authors. If you like paranormal romance or urban fantasy (or if you're a junkie like me, always searching for the next fix), I highly recommend the Elder Races series.

Paranormal Romance
93 pages, ebook
Available now (Dec. 2011)
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Review copy purchased

Meeting your soulmate? Great. Preventing your possible murder? Even better.

Alice Clark, a Wyr and schoolteacher, has had two friends murdered in as many days, and she's just found the body of a third. She arrives at the scene only minutes before Gideon Riehl, a wolf Wyr and current detective in the Wyr Division of Violent Crime—and, as Alice oh-so-inconveniently recognizes at first sight, her mate.

But the sudden connection Riehl and Alice feel is complicated when the murders are linked to a serial killer who last struck seven years ago, killing seven people in seven days. They have just one night before the killer strikes again. And every sign points to Alice as the next victim.

Product Warnings
This book contains a hot police detective, a violent murderer on the hunt, and a heroine that can blend in anywhere...

Hot police detective, indeed! Gideon is gorgeous, sure, but he's also smart and compassionate. As sweet as she is, Alice is much less dominant than most of Harrison's characters, and she definitely needs that compassionate side in a mate. In this world, there is such a thing as a true mate, one recognizable to the Wyr by sight and/or scent (there's a little nod and wink up there in the blurb recognizing this classic PNR theme). Even though they're different types of Wyr--Gideon's a wolf and Alice...oh, you'll just have to wait and see what she is (though you might guess or read the multiple spoilers on Goodreads)--they're still destined to be mates.

This is a super-quick read taking place over a very short time period so they do fall for each other and fall into bed pretty quickly. But there's also an interesting murder mystery involving a serial killer who's targeting Alice which brings all of Gideon's wolfy instincts into play. TRUE COLORS is a little amuse bouche with plenty of flavor and spice.

Available on Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Paranormal Romance
102 pages, ebook
Available now (March 2012)
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Review copy purchased

Claudia Hunter is on a road trip through the Nevada desert when she sees the body of a dog on the side of the highway. Pulling over to investigate, she quickly determines that the enormous animal is clinging to life. While working to save him with the help of the local vet, Claudia realizes there's something about the creature that seems "more." Other. "Wyr." Which makes this case of animal cruelty attempted murder.

Too injured to shape shift, Luis Alvaraz is reluctant to tell Claudia what he knows about his attack, afraid it will only make her a target. But the sheriff is corrupt, and his attackers know Luis is alive and vulnerable. To make matters worse, a sandstorm is sweeping into town, and if they're going to survive the night, Luis will have to place all his trust in Claudia.

Warning: Take a gorgeous man temporarily stuck in the dog house, add a strong, take-no-prisoners woman, mix in encroaching enemies and a raging sandstorm and stir to combine. Enjoy with a freshly opened can of whoop-ass.

I wanted to spend a lot more time with these two. They're fierce, they're hot for each other, and there was amazing chemistry as well as an intriguing snippet of story. Claudia Hunter is one of my favorite female characters of this series so far. For one, she's older than most PNR characters. She's been in battle, she's been a soldier, and she's incredibly capable. Girl doesn't take crap from anyone. Luis, when he's not injured, is pretty much the same way (as I recall from other stories he's made an appearance in). But, because he is badly injured, Claudia steps up into the role of protector. I loved that!

Oh, and quite a nice cover, huh? I wish this one weren't residing on my Kindle, which isn't color and might short out if I lick it too much. *wipes away drool* NATURAL EVIL is a filling snack, crunchy and well-seasoned with a couple big dashes of hot sauce.

Available on Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Paranormal Romance
97 pages, ebook
Available now (June 2012)
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Review copy purchased

As a coroner, medusa Seremela Telemar has always felt more comfortable chatting over a dead body than over drinks. But when her wild niece, Vetta, runs off to Devil's Gate, a lawless town that has sprung up overnight in a modern-day gold rush, she knows she has to extricate her before the rebellious girl gets into real trouble. Though she's confident in her head snakes' ability to defend her against attackers, Seremela is still a bit nervous about braving this modern-day Wild West by herself.

Vampyre Duncan Turner is not about to let his new co-worker go into that chaos alone. His Vampyric power and lawyer smarts make him the perfect ally, and the fact that he already had his eye on Seremela for more...personal reasons, doesn't hurt matters. Any romantic thoughts pull up short, however, when they arrive at Devil's Gate and learn Vetta is set to hang by morning.

In order to save Vetta and themselves, Seremela and Duncan are going to have to fight fire with force and magic with fangs. And pray they make it out of Devil's Gate alive.

Warning: Contains mother effin' snakes in planes, cars, tents, and beds. Luckily, our hot Vampyre hero doesn't mind them one bit...

One of the things I enjoy about these novellas is they bring in characters from novels that otherwise wouldn't be the center of attention. Take Duncan and Seremela, for instance. They're both relatively bit players in the world of the Elder Races but a novella is the perfect place to bring them together. Plus, there are little threads from other stories woven throughout this one (the tarot cards, for example) and an intriguing new place--Devil's Gate--that I have the feeling we'll see in later novels. 

The romance between Seremela and Duncan is more sweet than fire-y. Duncan is a take-charge kind of guy but he's not overtly alpha about it while Seremela is both stubborn and very loyal to those she loves. Even though I am not a fan of snakes, I liked how Seremela's head snakes had cute little personalities, showing their attachment (and Seremela's) to Duncan by playfully wrapping themselves around his arms when he's near.

Another satisfying between-meal snack!

Available on Amazon | Barnes and Noble

8 comments:

  1. Natural Evil was definitely a novella that I wanted more time with.

    I think Devil's Gate is probably my favorite novella thus far. I really love the continuation of the tarot cards and I can't wait to see how they influence or show up in the next story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seems like double or triple reviews are all the rage these days! Seems like everyone I visit today has a twofer. I'm almost inclined to say, we read too much. LOL

    And yes, I'm all about the snacks in between meals. I'm so happy authors are willing to go to these lengths to keep their fans happy. It's so incredibly awesome of them. I've only read book one of this series, but I liked it, so I need to catch up.

    Though, I have to admit, the snake thing sounds kind of creepy. Like are they wrapping around him during the smexy times? Umm... weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really good!
    I think I got a Thea Harrison book in my TBR Pile somewhere - though I might be confusing it with another Dragon book.

    Still, you made me feel like I NEED to read this author soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHHHH! I LOVE this series so much Mary! I had no idea there was a third novella out. And I call myself a fan? Shame on me:( Thea writes such fabulous characters, I adored the first two novellas and now can't wait to get my hands on the third. I love that she gives us these little samplings in between books:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I planned on doing this exact same thing when I get all 3 read. Triple Shot, in yo face! I did love Alice's Wyr form and I really want more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I just got the first one in this series. I think it's the same series anyway... but I'm glad you enjoy them! I honestly am horrible about reading the novella's! Quite often I don't even know about them until later and I just don't care enough to go back and read them. I guess maybe it's because I just have too many books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! I've seen this series around aren't novellas fun!? Plus these covers are yummy! But yeah...

    "This book contains a hot police detective, a violent murderer on the hunt, and a heroine that can blend in anywhere..."

    Yes please!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. True Colors was my favorite of the three novellas, followed by Devil's Gate. Claudia is a pretty cool heroine, but I identify more with the quieter, less kick-assy heroines Alice and Seremela.

    Also: lots and lots of bonus points for using the term "amuse bouche"!

    ReplyDelete