Monday, July 2, 2012

The Talking Dead: GRAVE MEMORY by Kalayna Price

Urban Fantasy
373 pages, paperback
Available July 3, 2012
Publisher: Roc
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

As a Grave Witch, Alex solves murders by raising the dead—an ability that comes at a cost, and after her last few cases, that cost is compounding. But her magic isn’t the only thing causing havoc in her life. While she’s always been on friendly terms with Death himself, things have recently become a whole lot more close and personal. Then there’s her sometime partner, agent Falin Andrews, who is under the glamour of the Winter Queen. To top everything off, her best friend has been forever changed by her time spent captive in Faerie.

But the personal takes a backseat to the professional when a mysterious suicide occurs in Nekros City and Alex is hired to investigate. The shade she raises has no memory of the days leading up to his brutal ending, so despite the very public apparent suicide, this is murder. But what kind of magic can overcome the human will to survive? And why does the shade lack the memory of his death? Searching for the answer might mean Alex won’t have a life to remember at all…

This is definitely one of my favorite new (relatively) urban fantasy series--it's got great characters, consistently provides a good story, and has some pretty strong worldbuilding.

That being said, I'm worried Alex may be turning into an Anita Blake-type character. No, not in a overly-smexy-I-sleep-with-and-entrance-every-man kind of way (thank god). More in the I'm-so-awesome-because-now-I'm-not-just-a-grave-witch-but-a-planeweaver-super-powerful-Fae kind of way. Girl, you can't be everything. No one is *that* awesome. 

Now, Alex does have her issues. She's losing her eyesight pretty quickly, especially since she's using her grave magic more often. And her man situation is kind of pitiful at the moment. Hot fae Falin (and, sadly, puppet to the Queen of the Winter Court) is under orders not to interact with her unless it's "official" business. The Queen is using Falin, dangling him like a double-chocolate cake in front of a dieting gal, trying to get Alex to declare her loyalty to the Winter Court. I really wish Alex would just go ahead and declare for *something* already. Independent has a nice right to it. Oh, and dump Falin. He's not good for her and is deep in the Queen's...pocket.

Even hotter man Death is also not supposed to be hanging out with her, even though he's been stalking...er, protecting her since she was five. While the age thing is a bit ookie (what is it with older guys after these young chickies? Not a fan of this trend, people!), Death is most definitely my choice for Alex's man candy. He's yummy. And a nice guy who really likes her and knows her well.

Alex and her newly-rescued BFF Rianna open the doors to their private detective agency and snag a weird case--a mysterious suicide that isn't what it seems. Because Alex can see on all planes, she spots something dark leaving the suicide's body, which means it isn't a suicide. Once again, Alex's professional and personal lives collide as she wades into seriously deep waters to solve this mystery.

Alex Craft is a kick-ass heroine, one who keeps it together thanks to her good friends, and one who needs to do some serious thinking when it comes to her choice of boyfriends.

8 comments:

  1. Well. I haven't read any of this series yet. But, I do love to find new addicting Urban Fantasy's so I might give this series a try. It does sound intriguing and I love Fey!° wooot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world sounds pretty great!! And I hope Alex doen't go into Mary Sue character - where she' the most awesome, awesomest thing ever!!! - 'cause otherwise she sounds like a good character.

    You got me intrigued about this Death guy, I shall have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! I'm so glad other people are starting to get into it. I have to admit that I am really jealous for people just now getting it because they didn't have to wait as long for each book to come out. It was killing me!

    Eeep! I can't wait to get this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a slightly off note, I know that the Anita Blake series gets really weird. How many books of the series would you say are good before it turns?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this series (but then again, I don't read adult), but I love the premise. I like that there's a tragic outcome to using magic - I'm weird like that :P Anyway, awesome review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, thank you. Death all the way. I haven't read this installment, but I don't need to in order to know that Falin can suck it. Seriously.

    Not excited to hear that Alex is headed in any way remotely near Anita Blake. Gr!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this just the other day when I did my Fresh Batch and though it looked like a really good series but couldn't recall any reviews on it so call me intrigued! I'm in serious need of a super awesome UB fantasy series soon so I'm be taking a peek at this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the first book (or two) and am glad to hear its a series you really enjoy. Hopefully I can read it one of these years...

    ReplyDelete