Thursday, July 19, 2012

Speed date with Shane: BORN TO DARKNESS by Suzanne Brockmann

Urban Fantasy
513 pages, hardcover
Available now (March 2012)
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Review copy provided by publisher via Amazon Vine for honest review

Dishonorably discharged, former Navy SEAL Shane Laughlin is down to his last ten bucks when he finally finds work as a test subject at the Obermeyer Institute, a little-known and believed-to-be-fringe scientific research facility. When he enters the OI compound, he is plunged into a strange world where seemingly mild-mannered scientists—including women half his size—can kick his highly skilled ass.

Shane soon discovers that there are certain individuals who possess the unique ability to access untapped regions of the brain with extraordinary results—including telekinesis, super strength, and reversal of the aging process. Known as “Greater-Thans,” this rare breed is recruited by OI, where they are rigorously trained using ancient techniques to cultivate their powers and wield them responsibly.

But in the depths of America’s second Great Depression, where the divide between the haves and the have-nots has grown even wider, those who are rich—and reckless—enough have a quick, seductive alternative: Destiny, a highly addictive designer drug that can make anyone a Greater-Than, with the power of eternal youth. The sinister cartel known as The Organization has begun mass-producing Destiny, and the demand is epidemic. But few realize the drug’s true danger, and fewer still know the dirty secret of Destiny’s crucial ingredient.

Michelle “Mac” Mackenzie knows the ugly truth. And as one of the Obermeyer Institute’s crack team of operatives, she’s determined to end the scourge of Destiny. But her kick-ass attitude gets knocked for a loop when she finds that one of the new test subjects is none other than Shane, the same smoldering stranger who just rocked her world in a one-night stand. Although Shane isn’t a Greater-Than like Mac, as an ex-SEAL, he’s got talents of his own. But Mac’s got powerful reasons to keep her distance from him—and reasons that are just as strong to want him close. She’s used to risking her life, but now, in the midst of the ultimate war on drugs, she must face sacrificing her heart.

Wow. That blurb is like three times longer than my speed date is going to be!

Given its bulk (and in hardcover, too), this book could double as a nighttime protection weapon. The story inside is no less powerful, packing a major one-two-three punch within its pages. There's a kick-ass heroine for those who love their urban fantasy. *fist pump* There's a hot-hot-hot love story for those who want some paranormal romance. *woot* There's even a dystopian society in the wreckage that is America for those who go for that. *yeah, baybee*

Mac and Shane have major sparkage but, of course, both are damaged goods and do their best to stay away from each other--a lost cause. As Greater-Thans, they've got to learn to use their powers to defeat The Organization and the horrible drug that's decimating anyone who uses it. Brockman knows how to create some burn and some chemistry, y'all. Seriously. A fantastic read and a great start to a new series.


22 comments:

  1. This sounds great - but I must agree about the blurb, I was reading and reading and ... lol.
    AnywayI liked the sound of it and I have a soft spot for damaged characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it is about damaged characters--I guess I like rooting for the underdog.

      Delete
  2. The whole damaged goods bit is a little old for me. But the dystopian society sounds awesome! I don't have time for this anytime soon but maybe I would pick it up in future. It does sound good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a commitment, considering the length. But worth it!

      Delete
  3. Way back when I was strictly a romance reader, Suzanne Brockmann was one of my go-to authors. I may have to think about picking her back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long while since I read her stuff but the heat's still there!

      Delete
  4. Dude! I love your *fist pumps*!!! Haha. I like the sounds of this! I HAVE to get me some UF/PNR read soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "There's a hot-hot-hot love story for those who want some paranormal romance."

    *raises hands and waves them about frantically* THAT'S ME MARY!!! That is quite possibly the longest blurb ever, but this book sounds completely awesome. I'm so ready to meet Mac and Shane! *does happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That blurb--wow! Hope you love this book!

      Delete
  6. I really liked this book! Seriously it was so good :0)

    It was like 2.5 love stories and that other .5 better be in book 2 darn it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah--it really was 2.5 love stories, wasn't it? I want the rest now, please!

      Delete
  7. I was kind of bored to tears with this one, but maybe it was because it was soooo long and I listened to it as an audiobook. I also didn't care for Mac for some reason. I know, I'm a bit unfair to kick ass heroines. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I don't think I could audiobook this one. It's soooo long!

      Delete
  8. Sorry for the lack of comments. I was out of town for a few days this past week.

    This sounds like an interesting concept, although I don't know if it's for me. Sounds kind of scary actually. Although at least the romance is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your out of town-ness was FUN! It was a little scary...

      Delete
  9. Ha, I was going to say that blurb is huge! Also, glad it has a kick-ass heroine :)

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sold me. Is it so wrong that I totally skipped over the blurb and went strait to your SD Review? That is one freakishly long summary. LOL! I've been looking for something new to read and I could really use some good sexy reading while also getting some UF. This will most likely be my next read (and I'll use your Amazon link to buy it) but most likely in Kindle format. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay--I hope you love it! While a Kindle isn't as good a weapon, it'll be much easier to hold while reading!

      Delete
  11. Wow, it looks like it hits high scores in a lot of sub-genres!
    And the characters sound great.
    but that summary? it was freakin' long! LOL

    But I loved the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely long but also definitely good!

      Delete