Thursday, July 12, 2012

Speed Date with Michael: HOW TO TRAVEL THE WORLD FOR FREE by Michael Wigge

Travelogue
196 pages, paperback
Available now (March 2012)
Self-published
Review copy provided by author via NetGalley

How to Travel the World for Free The unbelievable feat of traveling 25,000 miles—from Berlin to Antarctica—without any money! Join Michael Wigge as he immerses himself into fascinating subcultures, rides with Amish farmers in old-fashioned buggies, sleeps on the street with the homeless, and, with the help from alternative lifestylers, learns to nourish himself with flowers. Wigge had only 3 concerns during his travels: How do I get some food? How will I get to my next destination? Where can I sleep? …all without money! This unusual travel diary combines adventure with humor and contains surprising revelations about when money is really needed—and when it’s not. A must-read for every travel and adventure fan!

I like to think of myself as a traveler, though I haven't traveled nearly as much as I'd like. Money, you know. And time, of course. So, to satisfy my wanderlust, I usually pick up a couple travelogues during the year.

Except...there's no way in hell I'd put myself through what this guy did to get a free trip from Berlin to Antarctica. I'm way too soft and comfort-loving. I couldn't charge people a dollar to pillow fight with me or to sit on me like I'm a sofa, like this man did in California. I don't think I could sleep on the couch or floor or futon of people I don't know and make pleasant conversation with them in the morning (I know a lot of people do this but...no. Not my thing.). It's a crazy thing this man puts himself through--and he seems to really enjoy it.

Short, with plenty of exclamation points (man does love his exclamation points) but interesting (in a head-cock, WTH is he thinking kind of way), HOW TO TRAVEL THE WORLD FOR FREE is an unusual addition to any travelogue library.




9 comments:

  1. Wow, I want to read this just to see all the weird things he did. I love traveling but would never go to that extent. I like traveling in style more than simply traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have had the nerve to try this stuff when I was younger. I didn't start traveling till my 30s and I am a hotel girl all the way LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yeah. I'm a comfort loving type of person too, I'm not the backpacking, hostel-staying type of girl. That sounds super snobby, but I just can't deal with the uncertainty of it all. I like to know where I'm going and where I'm staying when I get there:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the Comfort thing! I'm all for nice hotels so I don't think I could put myself through what this guy does, it sounds a bit extreme but if he likes it then good for him. It does sound like it's fun to read. Exclamation points and all!!! (and who am I kidding, I love !!!!!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could never do anything like this! I like adventure but whenever I go somewhere things are pretty much planned out. But it sounds pretty hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh, I get annoyed when there are too many exclamation points, haha. BUT I like to travel and I might just pick this one up - great mini review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah... there is a limit to my crazy side, which is much more shy then I like to admit. LOL

    I don't think I could do anything as adventurous, but it's a fun idea, and I'm glad it worked for this guy.

    P.S. I'm heavy handed on the !!! too, so I can't blame people for overusing them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds different!!!! And crazy!!! And what's wrong with exclamation point!???!!!!!!! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I SO want to travel the world for free, but I don't know if I can put myself through certain things. And I don't think I'm enough of a people person to stay with people I don't know.

    ReplyDelete