Thursday, July 5, 2012

Speed Date with Dean: MONUMENT 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Thursday is Speed Date Night. What's a Book Speed Date? It's a quickie review--about 150 words or so--of any genre book. If you want to join in the speed dating fun, sign up in the Linky below. The speed date is all about "meeting" new books.

YA Post-Apocalyptic
294 pages, hardcover
Available now (June 2012)
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

Your mother hollers that you’re going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don’t stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don’t thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not—you launch yourself down the stairs and make a run for the corner.
Only, if it’s the last time you’ll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you’d stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus.
But the bus was barreling down our street, so I ran.

Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong.

In Emmy Laybourne’s action-packed debut novel, six high school kids (some popular, some not), two eighth graders (one a tech genius), and six little kids trapped together in a chain superstore build a refuge for themselves inside. While outside, a series of escalating disasters, beginning with a monster hailstorm and ending with a chemical weapons spill, seems to be tearing the world—as they know it—apart.

An apocalypse like this--crazy weather, downed communications, horrible creations like chemical weapons released into the wild--could really happen. That's what makes MONUMENT 14 such an engrossing read. It's starkly real with internal power struggles, paranoia, death, and serious destruction.

While the characters are lucky to be stuck in a superstore with food, medicine, and supplies, the world around them is in utter chaos. Dean tells his harrowing story through a first person perspective, thrusting the reader directly into the chaos. While Dean isn't the bravest guy, he provides insight into the characters of those around him, making the kids he's trapped with come alive with personality.

A quick heads-up to those who like a tidy ending--there isn't one. As the first book in a series, the ending is a crossroads with a finish to one part of their journey and a dangerous, destruction-riddled highway to the next.



9 comments:

  1. Weird enough I just got approved on this galley on NetGalley... where I requested it month ago! Lool anyway, now I'm going to read it and I#m looking forward to it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks interesting... And Dean is a cool name but I like tidy endings ...so in two minds


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh. I'm one of those people that craves the tidy ending. I can't help it - I want concrete information that tells me exactly what's going to happen to these characters moving forward! Still, this one sounds great, and I'm always a fan of survival stories, so maybe I just need to suck it up and deal with the ending:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. I have been hearing mixed reviews about this!
    I happy you liked it though!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd seen this one's cover but I'd never really looked into it. But it actually sounds really good. I like a good ending but I don't need everything entirely wrapped up, so this would be okay for me! :) Great review Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really creepy yet good. :) Also, this is a great idea! I love shorter reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard good things about this book! I think maybe I will want to wait for the next one because of the cliffhanger though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah the ending is very open ended but it does make me super curious about book 2 even though I didn't love this one (too slow paced for me).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This doesn't sound like my kind of read. I'm curious about the non-tidy ending. Is it a cliff hanger or just like it wasn't finished?

    ReplyDelete