Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pray for Dawn: GOD SAVE THE QUEEN by Kate Locke

Urban Fantasy/Steampunk
352 pages, hardcover
Available TODAY (July 3, 2012)
Publisher: Orbit
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012 and Pax Britannia still reigns.

Xandra Vardan is a member of the elite Royal Guard, and it is her duty to protect the Aristocracy. But when her sister goes missing, Xandra will set out on a path that undermines everything she believed in and uncover a conspiracy that threatens to topple the empire. And she is the key-the prize in a very dangerous struggle
.

Steampunk England, hot werewolves, a kick-ass heroine with a spine of steel, and lots of twisty turns equals a great start to a new series. Kate Locke (a pseudonym for romance novelist Kathryn Smith aka Kady Cross, YA author) jumps right into the deep end with the first in her Immortal Empire series in which Queen Victoria is a vampire celebrating her 175th Jubilee and goblins are the monsters under the bed.

Xandra Vardan is on the hunt for her missing sister, a sister everyone else has given up as lost. But she knows otherwise and is determined to find her, no matter what the cost. Along the way, she finds more questions than she has answers to and is dragged deep into a conspiracy that reaches all the way to the crown. 

Life gets even more interesting when Xandra gets tangled up with Vex, a super sexy werewolf and Alpha of the UK werewolves (tangled up in more ways than one--woot!). And, while naked werewolves are always good, when Vex put on his formal black kilt and thick-soled boots, I drooled just a little.

Vex isn't the only awesome character. Well-constructed and crucial secondary characters populate every inch of this story. One of the strongest is Church, Xandra's vamp mentor and former teacher, who's looked out for her since she started at the Academy. He's suave and urbane where Vex is rough and ready (personally, I prefer the latter. Suave has always given me the creeps though I think it's my blue collar coming out there!) but Xandra respects and admires him. The Goblin King is also an intriguingly complex character, adding his own bit of spice to an already zingy story.

With so many surprising twists to this story, more detail might give some of those elements away, and I wouldn't want to do that. Urban fantasy addicts, naked werewolf fans, and steampunk punks--check this one out!

25 comments:

  1. This one is going straight on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait did you say Naked Werewolf fans? i am sooooooooooooooooooooo there! There are just not enough Naked Werewolves in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that might catch your attention... Never enough naked werewolves!!

      Delete
  3. "Steampunk England, hot werewolves, a kick-ass heroine with a spine of steel, and lots of twisty turns equals a great start to a new series."

    Ummmm SOLD! And then you had to go and sweeten the deal with the words "naked werewolf" and I fell out of my chair in my hurry to get this book on my kindle. HERE I COME VEX, PUT YOUR KILT ON FOR ME!

    Can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  4. Hmm...naked werewolves. I imagine that's a furry proposition.

    I think I got this at BEA. I should definitely check it out. I'm always up for a good "free" (non-ya, don't have to review) book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very punny--hehe! Yeah, this was at BEA--I got is signed by Kate so woot!

      Delete
  5. OK I admit.. I have never truly read a Steampunk Novel! For some reason it really never worked for me. But, I do love Kady Cross and maybe she would be the best choice to start this Genre.

    This book sounds awesome and might be exactly up my alley.

    Did you read The Girl in The Steal Corset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More steampunk elements than full-on steampunk. Definitely worth a try! Oh, and I really liked The Girl in the Steel Corset and her newest, The Girl in the Clockwork Collar. Fun stories with great characters.

      Delete
  6. Wow! That author has a lot of aliases! Crazy.

    You got me with sexy werewolf. I was dead meat after that. Bring on Vex, and is it any wonder what his name rhythms with? Judging by the kilt and boots, I think not! *drools with you*

    ReplyDelete
  7. All this talk of naked werewolves makes me think of Molly Harper's werewolf series, which I need to read, but I LOVE Molly.

    This is on my wish list ever since I saw it mentioned in Romantic Times so I'm really glad it's a goodie. I can't wait to check it out. Sounds all sorts of amazing.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol--not Molly's naked werewolves (though Molly's are fab!) some new ones. Hey, you just can't have enough naked werewolves, IMO.

      Delete
  8. Man this sounds AWESOME!!!! Thanks for sharing, sweet pea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis! If you read it, I hope you love it!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gawd, you guys have made my day! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm for my book! If any of you do buy it, feel free to email me at katewriter@gmail.com and I will mail you a signed bookplate for your copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay--that's awesome! *hugs* I was lucky enough to get mine signed by you at BEA. Loved your hair. :)

      Delete
  10. For the cover I thought this one was Urban Fantasy, but steampunk sounds pretty interesting :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's definitely got both UF and steampunk elements to it. So, yay!

      Delete
  11. I think I have this coming from librarything and I cant WAIT to read it! Somehow I didn't know this was Kady Cross though. Man, I'm so impatient, I want to read this NOW! Its SO my kind of book and you have me all excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize she was also Kady Cross until I met her at BEA--very distinctive pink hair! :)

      Delete
  12. Wow, that sounds DANGEROUSLY close to Abaddon Books' Pax Britannica novel series. Not helped by actually having the words Pax Britannica in the blurb!

    Here's a thumbnail of Abaddon's series taken from their site:

    "Pax Britannia, a steampunk alternate history in which a 160-year old Queen Victoria still governs the British Empire towards the end of the twentieth century."

    http://www.abaddonbooks.com/series/pax_britannia/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum. Interesting. You know, you can have very similar concepts with entirely different executions. I think I'll have to check out that other series and see for myself.

      Delete
  13. @Chris H Yeah! I know! One of the authors is really pissed off...

    ReplyDelete