Monday, July 9, 2012

Awesomely Epic Romance: PUSHING THE LIMITS by Katie McGarry

YA Romance
384 pages, hardcover
Available July 31, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Review copy provided by publisher via BEA for honest review

So wrong for each other...and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.  Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

Oh, holy cow, y'all. The story of Echo and Noah will make you cry and smile and cheer for a pair of teens who find love and hope in each others' arms. It definitely made me cry--I was reading at the beach, on the last chapters with tears rolling down my cheeks. People stared. I didn't care.

Told in alternating first person points of view, PUSHING THE LIMITS pulls the reader deep into the troubled lives of Echo Emerson and Noah Hutchins, who meet through forced interaction via their school's new clinical social worker. Both of these teens have deep emotional scars: Echo has terrible scars up and down her arms and repressed memories of how they occured while Noah survives foster care and separation from his brothers by building a wall around his heart and playing it fast and loose with everything else.

Neither is happy to be stuck with the other and, at first, it's all fight, fight, fight. Stereotypes play a large part in their mutual dislike until they learn more about one another and begin to understand of each others' situations. Connections form--delicate threads no bigger than a spider's web and equally breakable--and they begin to fall in love.

PUSHING THE LIMITS is definitely one of my top reads of 2012 and Katie McGarry is now on my auto-buy list! Now, I'm dying for her next novel DARE YOU TO, which tells the story of Beth, Noah's tough-as-nails "sister" and competitive baseball jock Ryan. *drool*

Available for pre-order on Amazon | IndieBound | Barnes and Noble

The Book Swarm will be doing a read-along with Bewitched Bookworms, Page Turners, Candace's Book Blog, and Dazzling Reads in August--Join us!

15 comments:

  1. I have only heard good things about this one so I recommended it to a friend of mine! I think she will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay-I'm so excited to see your positive review of this! I am planning to read it later this month and I am so so looking forward to getting to know Echo and Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried through this one too! Nice review.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no words for how much I deeply ADORE this book!!! I was crying and sobbing so hard and I loved Echo and Noah so fiercely ! I cannot wait to the Read-A-Long!!!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!!!! I loved this book so so much! Noah and Echo are definitely new favorite characters of mine, and this book will be going on my "books I have to reread" shelf:) So glad you loved this one too Mary, and I'm with you on the countdown to Beth's story. WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one was such a surprise for me, it was so much more than I expected it to be. I was so close to crying with this book, but somehow held myself together. I'm definitely excited for Beth's story, too! :)

    Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, most of my book blogging buddies have already loved and enjoyed this one. I guess I definitely need to read it! Especially since it's one of your top reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, okay, I'm bumping this up in the TBR pile!!!!!
    It sounds like it's going to be so good and I was lucky enough to be approved for a egalley!

    *rubs hands with glee*

    Thanks for the review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yay! I can't wait to read it! I will be sure to read in the privacy of my home, I have heard its a tearjerker!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED this book so much!!! Glad to see you think the same :) :)


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMg this is the 2nd epic review i read on this this morning and call me freaking excited! I have a couple books to read and then it's this one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book is EPIC. I absolutely loved Echo and Noah!!! Fab review.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's weird because I definitely liked this book quite a bit while I was reading it, yet it hasn't really left an impression on me at all. Actually, I remember it more negatively than positively, which is weird... I guess because it's full of so much DRAMA, which is easy to overlook when you're in the middle of loving the relationship and the characters, but harder afterwards. Interesting... andddd I'll stop rambling now. =b

    ReplyDelete