Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waiting on...THE BLOOD KEEPER by Tessa Gratton

Same world, different characters in The Blood Journals #2. I really enjoyed the first book in this series and can't wait to see where Tessa Gratton goes in this second novel. I'm not sure how I feel about the cover, though. One one hand, it's really creative--different than most I've seen out there. The unusual symbols and large star in the middle are intriguing. On the other hand, I really liked the cover design for the first book and this one is nothing like it. I know these aren't the same characters but I like continuity in a series. Thoughts?

YA Paranormal
432 pages, hardcover
Expected publication: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Random House Children's Books

For Mab Prowd, the practice of blood magic is as natural as breathing. It's all she's ever known. Growing up on an isolated farm in Kansas with other practitioners may have kept her from making friends her own age, but it has also given her a sense of purpose—she's connected to the land and protective of the magic. And she is able to practice it proudly and happily out in the open with only the crows as her companions. Mab will do anything to keep the ancient practice alive and guard its secrets. 

But one morning while she is working out a particularly tricky spell she encounters Will, a local boy who is trying to exorcise some mundane personal demons. He experiences Mab's magic in a way his mind cannot comprehend and is all too happy to end their chance meeting. But secrets that were kept from Mab by the earlier generations of blood magicians have come home to roost. And she and Will are drawn back together, time again by this dangerous force looking to break free from the earth and reclaim its own dark power.

So, what are you waiting on?
Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

9 comments:

  1. I am rather meh about this cover. I really loved the cover of the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still really need to read the first book. I want to. Like Amanda above, I'm not a fan of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of that cover, but you are right. It is different, and that's kind of cool. Not sure if I'd heard of these books before, so I'm glad to now have them on my radar. Thanks, Mary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo this sounds AWESOME! I haven't read the first book, do you have to read these in order, or does this second book focus on different characters from the first book? I'm not sure how I feel about the cover, it might be one of those I like a lot better after reading the book and seeing how well it represents the story:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cover, it is different. It looks like they're trying to make it match the paperback version of Blood Magic instead of the hardcover.

    Nice pick! I'm definitely excited for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the cover, but wish it was like the first. However I just have an ARC of the first so if the paperback matches this one that might be okay. I cant wait to read it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is a little boring... ?! I still have to read the first one but honestly, I am not sure if this is a must-need read for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read Blood Magic but I agree this cover is nothing like the first one. I suppose that's alright though. Hopefully I can get to the first book sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved blood magic! Can't wait to get this one now. Although I don't like this cover...

    ReplyDelete