Thursday, June 14, 2012

Speed Date with Griffin: THE TAKEN by Vicki Pettersson

Thursday is Speed Date Night. What's a Book Speed Date? It's a quickie review--about 150 words or so--of any genre book. If you want to join in the speed dating fun, sign up in the Linky below. This speed date is all about "meeting" new books.

Urban Fantasy
432 pages, paperback
Available now (June 2012)
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Review copy provided by publisher via Amazon Vine

He’s a fallen angel. She’s a rockabilly reporter. Together they must solve a deadly string of murders plaguing the mortal and the immortal worlds.

Griffin Shaw used to be a PI, but that was over fifty years ago when gumshoes hoofed the streets . . . and he was still alive. Now he’s a Centurion, an angel who assists other murdered souls through their journey to the afterlife. But while Shaw might be an angel … he’s no saint. Haunted by the mysterious events surrounding his own death, he seizes a chance to wreak some vengeance when he witnesses a deadly attack on journalist Katherine “Kit” Craig.

Joining forces, the unlikely avengers take to the streets, hunting a killer whose trail of bodies stretches across Las Vegas and into an immortal netherworld. It is a dangerous trek that lead them into the darkest corners of Sin City and into the heart of an evil conspiracy extending beyond the lights of the Strip that could destroy them both.

But destruction isn’t the only threat Griffin faces. The closer he gets to Kit, the more he finds himself bewitched by her mortal charms. Can he resist falling under her spell? And does he want to?

A fan of Vicki Pettersson's Sign of the Zodiac series, I jumped at the chance to read THE TAKEN, the first in a new series. And I'm so glad I did. Fast-paced, filled with snappy dialogue, strong characters, and a great plot, THE TAKEN swept me away and kept me up late reading.

This book is my first introduction to the rockabilly culture and I love it! Kit is a serious rockabilly girl, complete with an awesome wardrobe, pinned hair, gorgeous makeup, and a period home. But while rockabilly is huge part of her personality, Kit's also a hard-bitten newshound and a strong woman. Then there's Griffin and his gumshoe PI self. He reminds me of the dime murder mysteries of old--a Humphrey Bogart of sorts. These two were so different than the typical urban fantasy characters, they really made the whole story stand out.

Besides the very cool period clothes, attitudes, and language, the story's a great start to a brand new series by a fantastic author.


24 comments:

  1. That is such a fun idea! Sometimes it's just enough to write a little less!! This book sounds great and I wish I had more time to read a few more adult books, I am so caught up in YA I barely find time for adult! Great Review:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, it's harder to write a short review! And I know what you mean about YA--I usually read YA but I'm trying to branch out.

      Delete
  2. Now I have an intense longing to be a rockabilly girl, complete with the hair, make up and clothing. Trouble is, I hate putting on make up because I'm so awful at it. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way reading this--sooo impressed by the effort these rockabillies go to to look awesome. I'm too lazy!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like an awesome book. Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am half way through and I ADORE this book! It has all the elements that appeal to me: mystery, intrigue, and likable characters. Plus I knew ZERO about the rockabilly lifestyle and this has been super fun to learn about it in a fiction type of setting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COMPLETELY agree! I want more from this world--I hope she stays with it for a long while.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read anything by Vicki Pettersson, am I missing out big time? Seems like I might be. I like that this new series has a distinct and unique feel to it, with the film noir aspect setting it apart from a lot of UF series out there. Must try this Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd definitely enjoy it! Both her series are set in Vegas, which is pretty cool, too.

      Delete
  6. Like Jenny, I've yet to read anything from Pettersson, and I'm wondering if I should! I certainly need to read more urban fantasy...it's one sub-genre I seem to consistently miss out on! Fab quickie review. I'm pretty much sold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because this also has such a great mystery, THE TAKEN would be a great place to start!

      Delete
  7. This book looks so awesome! And it sounds amazing. I can already tell that I'd like Griffin and Kit. :) Awesome review Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. Griffin and Kit are great characters!

      Delete
  8. sounds awesome
    and the cover is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it wrong of me that the first thing i thought was: "I WANT THAT DRESS!"? lol
    The book sounds really good and the whole rockabilly thing sounds pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that, too! Actually, one of Vicki's readers re-created that dress and wore it to a signing. If only I were that talented!

      Delete
  10. I haven't read anything by this author before, but it sounds like this might be a good place to start! :) Glad you liked it, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm new to the rockabilly culture too I've no idea what it even is but this premise sounds great and I love the cover!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd only heard of rockabilly briefly but this was like diving in the deep end--and I really liked it! Too bad I'm too lazy to do it myself.

      Delete
  12. How interesting. I don't know anything about rockabilly. What time period was it? I'm interested in the concept that the guy is an angel but hasn't been one through eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked the Rockabilly stuff a lot. But I hard a hard time with the plot. I just didn't love it. I read the first of her other series years ago and loved it though!

    ReplyDelete