Thursday, June 21, 2012

Speed Date with Aura: SHINE by Jeri Smith-Ready

Thursday is Speed Date Night. What's a Book Speed Date? It's a quickie review--about 150 words or so--of any genre book. If you want to join in the speed dating fun, sign up in the Linky below. The speed date is all about "meeting" new books.

YA Paranormal Romance
416 pages, hardcover
Available now (May 2012)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves...even if that means betraying her own heart.

(FYI: As this is the final book in the series, there are minor spoilers.)

This is one series that really stands out from the paranormal crowd for me. I like the settings (Boston, Scotland, and Ireland), the concept (kids able to see ghosts, adults not), and the music (Irish music FTW). I also like the "love triangle" because it isn't really a triangle--Aura and her adorable Scottish boy Zachary are alive and Logan is a ghost--then a shade--then a ghost again (and, as of this book, longer around).

SHINE picks up with Zachary flying back to Aura in Boston--but his plane blows up. (Yeah, that's not good.) And things don't slow down from there. The DMP (ghost cops) uses this as an excuse to push its agenda (typical political move) and to try and force Aura and Zachary to follow their agenda (thought Zachary blew up, didn't you?).

Aura and Zachary battle government control, public fears, and forced separation in an effort to reverse the Shift and finally fall into each others' arms forever. I do love a good HEA (happily ever after for you non-romance peeps). Go Aura and Zachary!

Oh, AND Jeri Smith-Ready introduced me to a new indie band: Frightened Rabbit, a group of adorable Scottish guys (I love that you can hear the lead singer's wee accent as he sings!):


11 comments:

  1. Hm I am not completely sold in this series... I mean I am not the biggest fan of Ghost stories.. But I heard amazing things about Zach?!?! Can you confirm the epicness of his awesomness?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a big fan of the first book so I haven't continued. I couldn't stand Logan. I did like Zach though. I'm happy they get their HEA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This concept sound similar to a kids tv programme which used to be on the BBC called The Ghost Hunter. It was one of my favourites and I can remember being really disappointed when they decided not to make any more series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH THANK You! She ends up with Zach---now I will read it. I was putting it off because the ghost boyfriend kept being a part of the first two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I have no idea why Thank is in caps LOL I chalk it up to early morning :)

      Delete
  5. YAY AURA AND ZACHARY!!!!! As much as Logan played havoc with my emotional stability, I still loved him, but I'm glad things worked out as they did. I loved this series so much, and I really would like to go to Scotland and hang out with sexy Scotsman. I guess my husband could come too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so worried when Zach's plane blew up. Was Aura going to lose both guys she loved? And then Zach went through such hardships. This book definitely took me on a roller coaster ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this series yet but I've read so many good things about it! Is this the last in the series? I have to start it before it gets too big! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh!
    I admit I have seen the books around but I don't know why I never felt like to read them, mostly because I honestly had no clue what they were about and because I think that girl on the cover is in so many covers just now that I just lose track and mix the books together.

    Anyway, the story sounds pretty awesome and I do want to read it, since it sounds like an original paranormal :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had Jeri Smith-Ready's book on my TBR forever! I really need to get started on them soon.

    That "kind of" love triangle does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this book on my shelf, just waiting for me to read it. A plane crash? They cannot kill Zachary! Gah, now I want to read this even more, and I still can't get to it yet! lol!

    Great review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete