Monday, June 25, 2012

Read it and Reap: DARKNESS DEVOURS by Keri Arthur

Urban Fantasy
400 pages, paperback
Available June 26, 2012
Publisher: Signet Select
Review copy provided by publisher

Half-werewolf, half-Aedh Risa Jones can enter the realm between life and death, and she can see the Reapers who collect the souls of the dead. Now, she is using her gifts—and the investigative know-how of a man who broke her heart—to find a cabal searching for the power to control time, reality, and fate. And this is besides her work for the Vampire Council, half of whom want her dead.

But for now the Council needs her alive. Someone is killing blood-whore addicted vampires, and Risa must find the guilty party. If she succeeds, she may finally convince the council to lift the execution order on her life. But before she succeeds, she must first survive…

Risa's life just isn't getting any easier--now, she's got to ask a favor of the werewolf who broke her heart, hottie reporter Jak. The Vampire Council isn't a big fan of hers--many want her exterminated. The Ania and other parties also want her dead...she's pretty much burnt toast, unless she can get some of these entities off her back. And she fights tooth and nail for what she wants and what she believes. A most excellent kick-ass character.

Girl does have some relationship issues, though. One, there's Jak, who broke her heart and she still really lusts/loves after him, despite her protestations. Two, there's Lucian, an Aedh with murky intentions--but he gives her good smexy times. At the moment, she's trying to cut him out of her heart but still uses him to satisfy her...urges. And he's good at helping keep Azriel at arms' length. Three, there's Azriel who, at the moment is playing guardian (until such time as he gets what he's looking for) and possible love interest. I like how Arthur handles the multiple partners (now partners/ex-partners/wannabe partners, as the case may be). It wasn't made out like Risa is ho-ing around or anything. The multiple guys are just a fact of her life. I appreciate that.

But her love life takes a backseat to the seriously complex mystery she has to solve--one she has to solve because her life pretty much depends on it. The vampires she interacts with are cold and uncaring, well-drawn undead creatures who use people like toilet paper and dispose of them just as easily. But there are repercussions for such actions--if only Risa can work out what's going on and fix it before she runs out of time.

Action-packed and loaded with hot guys (yummy!), this third installment has Risa running for both her life...and her heart.

7 comments:

  1. I have the first 2 on my shelf because I think I would love this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her love life does sounds very, very complicated but I'm glad the plot and mystery take precedence to it, that's actually quite rare.
    :D Great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Two, there's Lucian, an Aedh with murky intentions--but he gives her good smexy times."

    The smexy times are mighty important Mary, so I think based on this review alone I might be Team Lucian:):) Normally the multiple possible love interest aspect would really bother me, but if you say it's handled well I'll believe you:) Plus, I just want to meet Lucian now.

    Also, Poison Princess is on it's way to you, sorry for the delay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been years since I've read anything by KA. I loved the first few books in the RJ series, but after a while, I got really turned off by Riely's behavior.

    I can't believe Risa's series have already reached book three. Dang, she grew up fast. I remember being curious about how that transition would go, so I just might have to pick up where I left off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Action-packed and loaded with hot guys" - I'm sold. You can't go wrong with either of those. I'll have to locate the first book soon :)

    Great review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is an aedh? Is it an angel? A demon? I'm very curious about the werewolf/aedh cross. I don't know anything else about the series, but that alone makes me want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got this for review but haven't read the series yet. I decided I would just give this one a try and see if its for me. I'm hoping that I wont be confused without having read the others. It sounds good anyway!

    ReplyDelete