Let's Talk is a meme hosted by i swim for oceansthat features questions or prompts about books and blogging. Love it or hate it, weigh in or don't, Let's Talk will get you thinking--and talking!
Question: What do you look for in a book review,
and what makes it good?
and what makes it good?
Following as many blogs as I do, I run across some amazing and well-written reviews and some pretty crappy ones--ones you know were just called in rather than thought out. Now, everyone does have bad days (I'll admit it--there are some reviews I wrote super-fast, last minute, and with half a brain. But those are few and far between.), but if poorly-written reviews are the norm, I won't follow anymore.
So, what makes reviews stand out:
- Details--what did you like, what didn't you like and why
- Passion--whether you liked the book or not, be passionate about it (that's why you're blogging about books, right?)
- Voice--you infuse the review with your personality
- Consideration--you spent time with the book, thought about it, and really put effort into your review
What makes reviews sink:
- Opinion without support--I want to know why-why-why (much like a two-year-old)
- Bland--no excitement or dislike or passion of any kind
- Every review is an endless parade of gifs--while I've seen gifs used very effectively, if that's all you've got...meh
- Every review is just a few lines that give little to no insight into your actual thoughts
- Every review is a rave review because every book you read is AWESOME with no faults
- Every review is a rant because every book you read SUCKS and there's nothing good about it
Of course, I'm not a professional reviewer (that would be a very cool thing!)--this is just a hobby for me. And every blogger has his or her own personal style, which is what I like, why I follow the blogs I do I want to see a blogger's personality come through in their reviews, like to see a review that's infused with that blogger's passion and love of books. Because that's why we do this, isn't it? Because we love books?
Check out my sidebar for some of my very favorite blogs, ones that provide consistent, fabulous reviews and keep my TBR shelf and wishlist bursting with great books *hugs sidebar buddies*.--->
So, what do you think: what makes a good review? Any blogs I should follow that have great reviews?