Monday, June 11, 2012

Double Shot: WISHFUL THINKING by Gabi Stevens and BLOOD KIN by M.J. Scott

Paranormal Romance
320 pages, paperback
Available now (April 2012)
Publisher: TOR/Tom Doherty Associates
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

Free-spirited artist Stormy Jones-Smythe was raised by two talented Wizard fathers but never showed the slightest hint of magical abilities. Which is why she’s totally surprised when three famous fairy godmothers show up at her door to tell her she’s one of them.

Surprised, and none too happy.  The godmothers are fugitives, framed for treason, and the last thing the magical Council wants is another fairy godmother going rogue. Hence Stormy’s new full-time Guard, Hunter Merrick.

Stormy quickly realizes she’s not going to escape Hunter’s watch…and before long, she’s not sure she wants to. But her freedom depends on her ability to expose the plot against the godmothers, and that means getting control of her magic. Despite the growing chemistry between them, Hunter is fiercely loyal to the Council—and duty-bound to keep Stormy from doing either of those things.

But he didn’t count on Stormy’s irrepressible exuberance and passion for life. Before long, even Hunter isn’t sure which side he’s on, and he can’t contain Stormy either way.

A light, fun story, WISHFUL THINKING is a great summer read, perfect for relaxing with on a lazy day while swinging in a hammock.  I did giggle at the main character's name (Seriously--Stormy?) but the story itself was quite entertaining. 

There's a spark between new fairy godmother Stormy and the hottie guard Hunter when they first meet--one that Hunter resists because Stormy's just a job to him (well, she's supposed to be). Of course he falls for her, as she charms the pants right off him with her effervescent personality and take-no-shite attitude.

The third in a series, this book brings to fruition the trouble that's been building between the godmothers and the magical community, plopping Stormy right in the middle of the action.


Historical paranormal Romance
336 pages, paperback
Available now (June 2012)
Publisher: Roc
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

I didn’t plan on becoming a thief and a spy. But options are limited for the half-breed daughter of a Fae lord. My father abandoned me but at least I inherited some of his magic, and my skills with charms and glamours mean that few are as good at uncovering secrets others wish to hide. Right now the city has many secrets. And those who seek them pay so well…

I never expected to stumble across a Templar Knight in my part of the city. Guy DuCaine is sworn to duty and honor and loyalty — all the things I’m not. I may have aroused more than his suspicion but he belongs to the Order and the human world. So when treachery and violence spill threaten both our kind, learning to trust each other might be the only thing that saves us.

But even if a spy and a holy knight can work together, finding the key to peace is never going to be easy…

This book wasn't what I expected at all! I went in thinking it was a typical urban fantasy but it so wasn't. First off, it was set in a past world filled with vampires, Fae, Templar Knights, and shapeshifters. Second, there was a lot more romance--yay! 

While this is the second book in the series, I didn't need to read the first one to fully enjoy this one. The story arc between two main characters is fully encompassed in this book, which I really like, and it includes characters from the prior story.

The relationship between Guy and Holly is hot and spicy, punctuated with quick banter and sharp wits. They're natural enemies who find they're actually on the same side and must work together to uncover secrets and unravel the twisted intrigues tying the city in knots. BLOOD KIN is a fantastically complex world woven around a thoroughly enjoyable love story.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound | Barnes and Noble 

5 comments:

  1. I loved Gabi's series and I just finished reading her Historical (wonderful)! I will have to check out MJ Scott series--it looks like something I would enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got Wishful Thinking randomly in the mail and am holding off on it until I read the first two. I am glad it's entertaining though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These both look really good. Blood Kin sounds great-I'm glad to know that it wasn't a typical fantasy book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this series before, but I'm definitely intrigued! Mary, you have a way of making any book sound good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of the first series, but it sounds really good! The second book I got for review too but went and bought the first so I can read them both. I'm glad you liked it though, it sounds SO good!

    ReplyDelete