Friday, May 18, 2012

Swimming with the fishes: OF POSEIDON by Anna Banks

OF POSEIDON (Of Poseidon #1) by Anna Banks
YA Paranormal
324 pages, hardcover
Available May 22, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review


A FIERCE READS tour book


Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves  that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.


Positive: Very humorous. Between Emma's pratfalls, Galen's unfamiliarity with human high school, and Rayna's snarking, there's plenty to giggle at in this story. The humor keeps the tone light, despite a very dark incident and some deeper plotlines.


Positive: Interesting mythological spin. There are two kingdoms under the sea (did anyone else just break into that Little Mermaid song?), one descended from Poseidon and one descended from Triton. They intermarry, especially among the royals, to keep the "gifts" from their ancestors alive and to keep peace between the kingdoms. Because they tried intermingling with humans in the past with disastrous results, it's illegal to live among the humans, much less interact with them. 

Positive: Emma. She's a very fun character--thoughtful and interesting, klutzy in an endearing way and somewhat hot-tempered. She does let Galen run over her a bit too much but, once she's mad, she doesn't hold back. At all. (I mean, she throws Galen's twin through a plate-glass window during an all-out girl fight. Don't worry. Because the Syrenas have thick skins and dense bones, no one was hurt too badly.)


Wish: The Syrenas weren't quite so stuck in the 18th century regarding women and marriage. Ranya, a royal and Galen's twin, is married without her consent ("sealed" in Syrena terminology) by the king while Ranya's off helping Galen. The male's the one in charge and the female is expected to be a good little girl and do as he says. Grr. I don't think Emma's going to like that very much in the next couple of books. In fact, I expect she'll seriously shake things up in those kingdoms.


Overall: A fabulous summer read--intriguing and fast-paced, with just the right amount of romance and Alpha male to satisfy. (I'm all for Alpha males, as long as the Alpha female gives as good as she gets! Emma needs to mature a bit to get to this point but I'm confident she will.)


Available on Amazon | IndieBound

10 comments:

  1. This book sounds pretty awesome. Mermaid books can be tricky but it sounds like this one is good :)
    I'll try to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Emma needs to grow up a bit, she can be a bit immature. But for most part I really enjoyed this one too. And I love the history and world of the Syrena which I tend to find lacking in YA books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In YA MERMAID books I meant to say. :)

      Delete
  3. "There are two kingdoms under the sea (did anyone else just break into that Little Mermaid song?)"

    *raises hand* Too hard to resist ;)

    Great review! It does, overall, sounds pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting, and I can always use a good solid dose of humor! I found this one in my mailbox and I'm hoping I can read it soon!

    By the way, I definitely have the Little Mermaid song stuck in my head now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yay! So glad to see that you enjoyed this. I love books that are full of humor. :) I'm planning to start this one (hopefully) this week. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! I just loved this book, I'm so happy you enjoyed it as well Mary! Emma was hilarious wasn't she? Though I definitely see trouble brewing with the arranged marriage aspect, the whole Toraf/Rayna situation made my hackles rise (even though it was clear he loved her and she begrudgingly adored him). I would not appreciate being married without even being present! Still, loved this story and can't wait for more:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? Who knew Mermen were such Cavemen? LOL

    *goes back to singing Under the sea*

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason I was pretty bored with this one, and I didn't really like or understand the characters. Yet everyone else seems to really like it, haha. :S

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely loved Of Poseidon! I couldn't stop reading this book once I started. The characters are well written and strongly developed. Emma is feisty and tough. She definitely has a bit of a temper at times. Emma is also hilarious too though and I loved her little inner rants.

    Emma meets Galen by accident when she trips and falls into him while on vacation. Galen wants to know more about Emma though, especially after seeing her communicate with fish. Galen kind of creeped me out a bit at first but it only took a couple of chapters before I was in love with him. He doesn't know how to act like a human very well. I enjoyed the alternating chapters though because it not only helped move the plot along but, it also provided a deeper understanding into both Galen and Emma. I also loved Rayna and Toraf. Rayna is Galen's sister and she also has a bit of a temper. Toraf is Galen's best friend and I wish he was in the story even more.

    ReplyDelete