Thursday, May 17, 2012

Speed Date with Mac: HEMLOCK by Kathleen Peacock

Thursday is Speed Date Night. What's a Book Speed Date? It's a quickie review--about 150 words or so--of any genre book. If you want to join in the speed dating fun, sign up in the Linky below. This speed date is all about "meeting" new books. Cheers, my reader friends!


HEMLOCK (Hemlock #1) by Kathleen Peacock
YA Paranormal
400 pages, hardcover
Available now (May 2012)
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Review copy provided by publisher via Amazon Vine for honest review


Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.


Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.


Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.


Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.


Though this book is filled with YA cliches (Ooh, let me look at myself in the mirror so I can tell everyone what I look like! Gasp--I'm waking up from a bad dream in which I saw Very Bad Things that were True! What? Two boys like me and want me? I'm so confused by my feelings for both of them. Oh noes! Dead BFF--I'm so sad!), HEMLOCK rises above the cliche to tell a great story.


A big fan of the werewolf genre (#nakedwerewolf FTW), I really like the spin this book takes on the subject. Lupine syndrome can be contracted through a bite or scratch and those who catch it are persecuted--killed outright or sent off to internment camps (reminded me of the Japanese internment camps of WWII). People are afraid and the Trackers--an ostensibly helpful group led by a fanatical leader--step in to assist with "containing" the virus in the town of Hemlock after a series of brutal werewolf attacks.


A relatively happy-go-lucky girl with a good life prior to the death of her best friend, Mac wants to know what really happened to her friend. She develops into a much more focused and, ultimately, accepting person who has to make a series of very bad choices. All the characters are well-developed and, even if you don't particularly like some of them (Jason's kind of a drunken arse), it's easy to get caught up in their drama.


HEMLOCK delivers an action-packed mystery filled with love and loss, fanaticism and prejudice, and hard choices.


Available on Amazon | IndieBound



15 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad you enjoyed this one too Mary! I agree, there were a lot of familiar elements in this story, but the way she put them all together worked really well I think. I can't wait to see how things progress with the Trackers in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! They were an interesting and aggressive group.

      Delete
  2. I always appreciate a different spin on a familiar topic. Werewolves have been surprising me lately. I'm actually really starting to like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't such a huge fan until recently--a great crop of fuzzy characters changed my mind!

      Delete
  3. I am #nakedwerewolf fan but I don't want them to young....then I feel like a cougar :) Oh who am I kidding LOL

    Great Review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yeah. Definitely not too young. Rawr!

      Delete
  4. It's an interesting review and sounds like a good book. I was just wondering if you knew that your link tool won't work until next thursday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! See, this is what happens when I rush and don't have time to edit completely.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for fixing it, it was selfish reasons I pointed it out for really :P

      Delete
  5. lol - oh those #nakedwerwolves! I seen this one around, and I think I'm going to give it a try. It sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee! I like your YA cliche mocking. =b

    I'm actually not a big werewolf fan, but I've heard this one is really interesting and unique in certain aspects, which definitely sounds true from what you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big fan of werewolves but this book shocked me! I completely loved it! I was SO FREAKING SURPRISED! It felt different to me and I kept being surprised with where things went.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #nakedwerewolf FTW!! Haha. I really loved this one I found it stood out from all the other werewolf books and the triangle was very well done. I was also reminded of an internment camps or some dystopian novel where the rulers have all the power. It's pretty scary for them. Glad you enjoyed it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, this review is great. Glad to hear that it rose above its cliches, some books don't manage to do so!

    *adds to TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Loved this book! It was very refreshing, and I really enjoyed it more than I expected to. :) So glad you liked it as well!

    ReplyDelete