Thursday, May 3, 2012

Speed Date with Jen: JENERATION X by Jen Lancaster

Thursday is Speed Date Night. What's a Book Speed Date? It's a quickie review--about 150 words or so--of any genre book. If you want to join in the speed dating fun, sign up in the Linky below. This speed date is all about "meeting" new books. Cheers, my reader friends!

Cover image of Jeneration X by Jen Lancaster, a memoir published by NAL.
Memoir
350 pages, hardcover
Available now (May 2012)
Publisher: NAL Hardcover
Review copy purchased

Jen is finally ready to put away childish things (except her Barbie Styling Head, of course) and embrace the investment-making,mortgage-carrying, life-insurance-having adult she's become. From getting a mammogram to volunteering at a halfway house, she tackles the grown-up activities she's resisted for years, and with each rite of passage she complete, she'll uncover a valuable--and probably humiliating--life lesson that will ease her path to full-fledged, if reluctant, adulthood.

Long ago, I got hooked on Jen Lancaster's blog, Jennsylvania.com and her memoirs, starting with Bitter is the New Black. Five books followed, each funnier than the next. So, when she announced her next book was going to be a "I'm an adult, how the hell did that happen" kind of book, I immediately pre-ordered it (Hey, Jen! Where's my signed bookplate? Come on, girl!).

And, when it arrived yesterday, finished it in one night.

Oh, Jen. You, with your eccentric and tolerant husband, Fletch and band of rescued, misfit, completely hilarious critters (three dogs--two "lick you to death" pitbulls and one shamefully confused half-poodle--and a plethora of cats--a dirty old man and a cranky old lady who sadly take their leave before the book is finished, and multiple feral kittens-cum-snugglebunnies, nicknamed the Thundercats, a story in and of itself). You with your snark and obsession with all things preppy, plaid, and pearls. You make me laugh.

Of course, it could never work between us. Our political views butt heads, you being so staunchly Republican and me...not. But we could still shop together at Target and Whole Foods, you could ramble on about the vagaries of suburban (Lake Forest) versus urban (Chicago--Logan Square) lifestyles, and we'd laugh at the ridiculousness of our respective critters. Then we could knock back a couple of your killer cocktails and belt out some Journey at the top of our lungs while embarrassing poor Fletch. It'd be awesome.

Or, hey, you could come down to South Carolina and I'll take you to the Carolina Cup, where every girl's dressed to the nines (Lily Pulitzer is a favorite) and most of the guys don seersucker and bowties. Then we'll knock back some of my killer cocktails while wondering if there are horses at this horse race (SC joke). You in?

Yeah, so this turned into a rambling, non-speed date. More of a dinner date. If you're looking for something different and you like snarky/bossy/funny, check out Jen Lancaster's books! Available on Amazon | IndieBound



9 comments:

  1. This sounds cute. It's not the type of book I typically read, but I'm curious. I'll have to check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jen (not her foray into fiction but her non-fiction stuff)!

    I am a liberal democrat too but I could handle her LOL I live in TX after all, I am only surrounded by republicans :) We would butt heads though LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love some snark, so I think I would enjoy her book! This isn't something I would normally pick up, but I really want to read this and Jenny Lawson's "mostly true" memoir, both I think would have my sides hurting from laughing so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha this sounds like such a fun book! I might have to check this one and the author out some more! Great speed date Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Yes! Now you've made me super happy that I'll be getting this one for review soon. I don't usually read memoirs, but I couldn't resist accepting a review copy of this one because it just sounded so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds really good!!
    Though I admit Id on't read that many memoirs! LOL
    This sounds really fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh this sounds like MY type of book! Snarky and funny is my thing! Teehee. I haven't even heard of this author before I'll have to check out this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so familiar! I think maybe it was offered for review and I passed it up cause it was a bad time. I'm not sure though... however, I'm thinking I may have to read it now! It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun read. thanks for the review, even if it's more of a dinner date...those aren't so bad, right?! I still need to read something of Jen's but I do have one of her memoirs and I plan to dive in this summer. She seems perfect for those pool days.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete