Thursday, May 31, 2012

Speed Date with Drusilla: ROYAL STREET by Suzanne Johnson

Cover image of Royal Street by Suzanne Johnson, published April 2012
Urban Fantasy
336 pages, paperback
Available now (April 2012)
Publisher: Tom Doherty Associates
Review copy provided by publisher via NetGalley for honest review

As the junior wizard sentinel for New Orleans, Drusilla Jaco’s job involves a lot more potion-mixing and pixie-retrieval than sniffing out supernatural bad guys like rogue vampires and lethal were-creatures. DJ's boss and mentor, Gerald St. Simon, is the wizard tasked with protecting the city from anyone or anything that might slip over from the preternatural beyond.

Then Hurricane Katrina hammers New Orleans’ fragile levees, unleashing more than just dangerous flood waters. While winds howled and Lake Pontchartrain surged, the borders between the modern city and the Otherworld crumbled. Now, the undead and the restless are roaming the Big Easy, and a serial killer with ties to voodoo is murdering the soldiers sent to help the city recover.

To make it worse, Gerry has gone missing, the wizards’ Elders have assigned a grenade-toting assassin as DJ’s new partner, and undead pirate Jean Lafitte wants to make her walk his plank. The search for Gerry and for the serial killer turns personal when DJ learns the hard way that loyalty requires sacrifice, allies come from the unlikeliest places, and duty mixed with love creates one bitter gumbo.

Undead pirates, voodoo, a hot partner (double the eye-candy with his cousin), and New Orleans--all a nice set-up for a brand new urban fantasy series by Suzanne Johnson. 

Drusilla (call me DJ) comes back to a post-hurricane New Orleans to find her mentor missing and multiple murders that may or may not be magical in origin. She's in over her head, being just a green witch with a small amount of physical magic and not enough training. 


And then super-hottie and total badass Alex Warin arrives on her doorstep and sparks fly. DJ doesn't want him there...Alex is staying, especially since it's his job to protect the new sentinel of New Orleans.


A cool setting and interesting world-building as well as an intriguing main character who has lots of room to grow and mature, ROYAL STREET has great potential to develop into a must-buy series.


Available on Amazon | IndieBound

9 comments:

  1. YEAH! This one is on my definite To Buy TBR because I love books set in New Orleans! I am so glad to hear this one is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has Undead pirates? YES PLEASE!!! Haha. No seriously I saw this cover but never read about this book before and it sounds freaking awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo this one sounds good! New Orleans and a hot guy? It sounds like a great book to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really curious about this one. I love the New Orleans setting. One of my fav cities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Mary, this one definitely has a lot of potential I think. I enjoyed DJ and her boys, though I'm hoping the love triangle aspect doesn't drag on too long and we get a choice sooner rather than later. Still, I'm looking forward to the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of this series before!!
    I'm going to check it out, it sounds like it gots ton of potential and DJ sounds cool

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard this one is good. I think I will wait until closer to the release of the second book so I don't forget everything. It sounds awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you sold me with the whole super hot bad ass thing. I'm now definitely interesting in finding out more about Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Undead pirates, voodoo, a hot partner...this one does sound intriguing! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete