Monday, May 14, 2012

Bout of Books: EYE OF THE STORM by Kate Messner

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon
What I read today:

Cover image of Eye of the Storm by Kate Messner
MG Science Fiction/Adventure
304 pages, ebook
Available now (March 2012)
Publisher: Walker Children's
Review copy provided by publisher via NetGalley

In the not-too-distant future, huge tornadoes and monster storms are a part of everyday life. Sent to spend the summer in the heart of storm country with her father in the special StormSafe community his company has developed, Jaden Meggs is excited to reconnect with her dad after he spent years researching storm technology in Russia. She’ll also be attending the exclusive summer science camp, Eye On Tomorrow, that her dad founded. There, Jaden meets Alex, a boy whose passion for science matches hers, and together they discover a horrible truth about her dad’s research that is putting countless lives at risk. As a massive tornado approaches, threatening to destroy everything in its path, Jaden is torn between loyalty to her dad and revealing his secret. Can she find the courage to confront her dad and save everyone from the biggest storm yet?

Oh, I am so recommending this one to my science teacher friends. SuperStorms and brainy teens trying to save the family farm? Yes, please. 

Jaden is a wonderfully constructed character--smart and sweet, with the best of intentions even though her loyalty is torn between family and doing what's right. She grows up a lot in this story, moving from the typical eye-rolling teen who has to spend time with an absentee father to a fierce storm warrior who isn't afraid to risk it all to help those who need it.

The story itself is built around the premise of a future filled with catastrophic and devastating storms that scientists race to try and control, with no real luck. The science is intriguing--while we don't have the ability to control the weather, the very possibility of it drew me in. Because it's a middle grade book, the science isn't overwhelming even though the whole book revolves around it. Kate Messner does a fantastic job of catching her readers' interest and catapulting them forward through the story, making it practically impossible to put this book down.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound

5 comments:

  1. Oh this one sounds good! But having grown up in tornado country it might freak me out a bit! I hats storms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I would have liked this as a kid. I was afraid of tornadoes. Never liked Wizard of Oz for that reason. Although ET scared me even more. I watched that when I was 5 or 6 and have never been able to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fun read! I am going to recommend it to some of my favorite younger readers out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like one I might be able to get my little cousin to read. I always have the hardest time getting him interested in books, but he loves science and math, so maybe this one would appeal to him. I'll keep my fingers crossed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very cool!
    :D

    And hey! good luck with this event!

    ReplyDelete