Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bout of Books: CURSED by Benedict Jacka

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon

What I Read Last Night/Today:

Cover image for CURSED by Benedict Jacka, urban fantasy novel
Urban Fantasy
304 pages, paperback
Available May 29, 2012
Publisher: Ace
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review

Since his second sight made him infamous for defeating powerful dark mages, Alex has been keeping his head down. But now he's discovered the resurgence of a forbidden ritual. Someone is harvesting the life-force of magical creatures—destroying them in the process. And draining humans is next on the agenda. Hired to investigate, Alex realizes that not everyone on the Council wants him delving any deeper. Struggling to distinguish ally from enemy, he finds himself the target of those who would risk their own sanity for power...

I'll admit it, I'm an urban fantasy junkie. These books are my crack and CURSED definitely hits the spot. Gaining notoriety in the upper echelons of the mage world is something Alex never hoped for--or wanted. But he's getting a name (not necessarily a good one) as someone who's more powerful than he first appears. His power is a subtle one--nothing flashy like that pain in the butt, Cinder, with his massive balls of fire (heh)--but, when used properly, he has the ability to see possible futures and that can be a powerful thing. 

People want him dead. Assassins lurk around every corner and his new apprentice, Luna, has found a new friend to play with. Luna is quite irritating in this one. She begged Alex to help her learn to control her killing curse but she wants the quick fix and isn't listening to Alex. Plus, the guy she hooked up with? Not good (A monkey's paw picks him as its new owner--that should tell you everything about him!).

Then there's the new woman in Alex's life and she's got bad vibes just flowing off her. But Alex ignores the warning signs (Typical male--he sees boobs and all sense flies out of his head.) and heads deeper into trouble.

This series will definitely appeal to fans of Jim Butcher. Alex is a hero I can totally get behind--he's flawed, not afraid to ask for help when he needs it, loyal to a fault, and walks a fine line between Light and Dark.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound

Next up: OF POSEIDON by Anna Banks

7 comments:

  1. I cant believe you read this already! Well, I guess my copy came Friday so maybe that's not SO fast. I'm really excited to get to it though and I'm glad you've gotten into this series too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is Jim Butcher like? I am going to have to check it out. I love me some Harry Dresden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow this sounds right up my alley! I haven't heard of it before. I'm definitely stalking the 1st book on Goodreads >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um. I definitely do not want a monkey's paw to pick me as a new owner. Can you pass if it does? I would try desperately to do so! I'm a huge Urban Fantasy junkie as well Mary, I'm going to have to give this series a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha I love that this is your crack. hehe I haven't heard of this one but it sounds amazing! So glad I saw this post or I'd never have known about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember first seeing these books on Candace's blog. Been interested in trying them ever since. Alex sounds like he knows how to get himself in trouble, and that is always fun to watch. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, this sounds like an interesting book. Alex sounds like a good, realistic protagonist. Fabulous review, Mary! :)

    ReplyDelete