Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Blinded by the Light: STRUCK by Jennifer Bosworth

Cover image of Jennifer Bosworth's STRUCK
YA Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian, planned series
373 pages, hardcover
Available May 8, 2012
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux BYR
Review copy provided by publisher
A Fierce Read, Macmillan's new teen reads program: Facebook | Website

Mia Price is a lightning addict. She's survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn't who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.

Positive: Cults. Granted with cults, there comes a lot of religion woven throughout the story. However, it's never preachy--it's just a fact of life. The world is coming to an end. It's only logical that many people would turn to religion and, from the masses regaining (or finding) faith, an enigmatic prophet--The Prophet--emerges. He's a man with a plan, one that involves Mia and her lightning-struck self. To some, Mia can save the world. But others fear she'll end it and seek to destroy her first.

Positive: A storm is coming... There's such wonderful build-up about Mia and her potential. I wanted a lot more of Mia and her fascination and connection with lightning and I'm hoping that might evolve in the next novel. She's drawn to the lighting in sick kind of way. It calls to her and, each time she's struck, she adds another disfiguring scar to her collection. Still, she knows when a storm is coming and seeks it out. More lightning and Mia using that lightning to kick butt, please!

Positive/Wish: Jeremy's seemingly dual personalities. When Jeremy first arrives on the scene, he's been stalking Mia, standing outside of her house and staring. At one point, he even breaks into her house and stands over her with a knife. He's supposed to kill her but he can't. Despite his murderous, stalkerish ways (which I wish were a bit less...intense), Jeremy grew on me. He's mysterious (aren't they all?) but he's also sweet, once he decides not to do what he's ordered to do, and he truly cares for Mia and wants what's best for her, unlike just about everyone else in the story.

Wish: Look before you leap, Mia. Being a teen in a pretty terrible world, Mia doesn't always have the luxury of taking her time with things. But there were times where I really wanted to shake her and ask her what in the world she was thinking. Truly, several of the tight spots she got herself in could have been avoided if she'd just thought things through a bit or had a deep conversation with someone.

Overall: STRUCK blazes onto the scene with an electric story filled with enigmatic characters and post-apocalyptic chaos.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound 
 

10 comments:

  1. Awesome review Mary, I felt much the same way about this one! I was a little worried about the cult aspect, but like you said, it made sense in an apocalyptic context that people would turn toward a more religious extreme, and I never felt like I was reading a sermon or anything:) Such a unique premise too - it was so nice to read something so different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, great review for this! I just started reading this book, and am enjoying it so far. I'm glad to see that Jeremy's character grew on you... as of the moment, I'm a bit unsure about him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Jeremy sounds intense. I wonder if her took notes from Patch (hush, hush). LOL

    I'm not sure I could muster enough interest to read this one, but the cults society sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I'm not sure whether I'd like this or not. The idea of a lightning addict is definitely unique. I would probably get annoyed if Mia keeps doing stupid things though. I guess all teens do (or most anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Struck sounds very original! I hadn't heard of someone addicted to storms, the idea sonds good. And I like the cult idea, oddly enough - though you're right about the religion.

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know that I've seen a review of this yet. It definitely sounds interesting but her compulsive/stupid decisions would likely irritate me. Not for sure if this would be my thing or not. I guess we'll see once I see a few more reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the title of this review! :) I'm guessing you're going from the song. But this one sounds really good in kind of a crazy way. This Jeremy sounds a little weird. Standing over her with a knife?

    I can't wait to pick this one up! Great review Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I said this on Jenny's too! I am going to have to check this out because I think Cult's actually in a weird way make sense in a Post-A world. People want desperately to believe in something!

    Fantastic Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the cult aspect wasn't overdone...overall, seems like an interesting story!

    Nice review, Mary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard mixed things about this one, for sure, but it definitely does sound intriguing. Great review. =)

    ReplyDelete