Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Waiting on...ETIQUETTE & ESPIONAGE by Gail Carriger

I was scrolling through my To-Read list on GoodReads and came across this fabulous book! I'm not sure when the cover was revealed but I totally missed it or I would have had this up even faster. I absolutely adore Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series and this one looks to be just as fantastically awesome, especially since it's set in the same world. I have to say, I like this cover a lot more than the ones for Carriger's other series. The flocked purple wallpaper is very Victorian, as is the cover model's dress (though, since she's in black, I do wonder if she's in mourning for someone or if it's a school dress code). Pretty eye-catching, I'd say.

Cover image of Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger

307 pages, paperback
YA Historical Paranormal/Steampunk
Expected publication: February 13, 2013

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.

First in a four book YA series set 25 years before the Parasol Protectorate but in the same universe. (yay!)

So, what are you waiting on?


Waiting On Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

12 comments:

  1. I love this cover. I'm waiting for this one too, great pick. Here's my Wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the Parasol Protectorate series but this one sounds cool!

    My WoW @ Oh My Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super excited for this one! I've only read Soulless so far but I really enjoyed Carriger's writing and sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I still haven't read the Parasol Protectorate books, though they are on my (ever so long) TBR list. I actually got an ARC of this one yesterday (insane, I know, since it's out next February), and I'm really excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG--I'm so flippin' jealous! (That really is insane that they have ARCs already. Cool but insane.)

      Delete
  5. This one sounds great, and I like the cover! Very eye-catching :)

    Fabulous choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why must you pick a book that releases SO FAR AWAY MARY!!!! That's just cruel. And this series sounds AMAZING and now I have to wait forever and it's entirely your fault ;-) Adding this one to my list immediately, I can't wait to get back to this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. I just couldn't hold back my glee when I saw it, even though it's an endless wait. *sigh* Always wanting what's just out of reach!

      Delete
  7. I like the sound of this book!
    Finishing school but with awesome stuff!!!
    :D
    And I even like the cover. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed this too so I'm glad you posted! I cant WAIT for this one, it sounds so amazing! And I love the purple and black!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm excited for this one. I'm mostly done with Soulless. It's a cute read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just adore her covers!

    I haven't read all of the books but she has a great sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete