Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Vampires are awesome again: THE IMMORTAL RULES by Julie Kagawa

Book cover of Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
YA Post-apocalyptic/dystopian paranormal
485 pages, hardcover
Available April 24, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Review copy provided by publisher

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

Another vampire book, really? *sigh* Yes, those were my first thoughts when Julie Kagawa revealed her next series to the world. Then I thought, But it's Julie Kagawa and I absolutely adored her Iron Fey series...eh, what the heck. It'll at least be well-written and interesting.

Boy-howdy, was it ever interesting. In all ways, it truly rocked. It was dark and poignant, dangerous and curiously enthralling. Humanity is on the brink of extinction, brought there by a vile plague called "Red Lung". And then came the vampires. Living among humanity for eons, one vampire steps forward, reveals his species existence, and tries to help the humans (hey, they're the vampires' source of food, after all). Unfortunately, that plan backfires, resulting in creatures called "rabids". 

Vampires, desperate to lock down their food supply, create cities around the world that both protect humans from the rabids and turn them into blood donors with no education or way to escape. Except those like Allie, the Unregistered who refuse to bow to the vampires and their human pets. 

Allie is a fabulous character--hard because she has to be but caring about her fellow human beings. She refuses to be one of the cattle, learning to read from her mother, and educating herself the best she can. But she hates the vampires with an unrelenting passion. To her, they're everything that's wrong with the world. And then she has to become one in order to live.

The battle between Allie's bloodlust and new vampire nature and her humanity is fascinating. She escapes the city and travels through the world outside the cities, which is filled with dangerous creatures, rabids, and roving packs of humans--some violent and some just trying to get to the mythical human-only island of Eden. Despite what her creator said, Allie battles her bloodlust, unwilling to give up her sense of self as a person and the possibility of love. 

Dark and totally unputdownable, THE IMMORTAL RULES isn't just another vampire book--it's a 180 on the genre, making vampires awesome again. Especially ones named Allie.

Pre-Order on Amazon | IndieBound

15 comments:

  1. I keep hearing fabulous things about this book! It will have to go on my TBR list, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeep so exciting! I thought the same thing too not seeing the big deal about another vampire book but everyone is blown away so I'm super excited to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark and totally unputdownable....

    WOW that is quite high praise indeed. I am glad that Allie is a great character! I like it when the leads are likable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. Will have to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so vamped-out that I don't wanna read this book but it sounds terrific and I'm tempted!

    Is it a very long book? because if it's not I'll just bite the bullet and just read it - I never read the Iron Fey series so I'm totally trusting you when it's says the author is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! Couldn't agree more Mary, this book was amazing. I'm a vampire lover so I was expecting great things from this book and it far exceeded them, I just adored Allie and the entire cast of characters. And that ending? I kept hoping more pages would magically appear if I stared at the last page long enough, willing them into being:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So....I've never read a book by Julie Kagawa. *ducks*

    I've heard that they're pretty much made of win, but I just haven't ever picked one up. Mostly it's because I don't read a ton of fairy books, but Jenny at Supernatural Snark assures me the fae in this book are excellent. The Immortal Rules seems to be a different spin on vampires and a book that I would like. I really enjoy the post-apocalyptic vampire novels and to be honest I love when everyone knows about vampires. I love seeing the way the interact with society. I'm seriously pumped after this review to pick up The Immortal Rules. I guess I may finally read a Julie Kagawa novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't read any paranormal books in quite awhile before this one so I was a little worried but Julie Kagawa is an awesome writer and I love her Iron Fey series so I was glad that I really enjoyed this one as well. I loved Allie, she was so awesome. Also, the world in this book really sucked me in, I loved how dark and dangerous it was. Fabulous review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BOOM! Vampires in da house.

    Straight up, I still like vampires. There, I said it.

    So I am legit excited for The Immortal Rules.

    Also, Julie Kagawa is a fabulous writer.

    I'm glad you ended up really liking The Immortal Rules :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I COMPLETELY agree. Such a good book. It was so exciting to have a YA vampire book that wasn't strictly romance. \o/

    My own review for it is scheduled to go up later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your last paragraph! :) I'm so excited for this one! Oh, it just looks so good. I've never been a huge fan of vamps but I faith in whatever Kagawa does! Fantastic review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally said/thought exactly the same thing about a vampire book, but I too will read anything by her. I just got this last week and am glad you loved it. I'm even more excited to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you loved this. I finished it yesterday and adored it. Allie is such a fab character. I like that she was nice, but not too nice - had a survivalist streak that made sense given her life. I'm a big Kanin fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just started this one and while it's a little slow so far, I am eager to see what's going to happen once Allie is transformed and the real drama starts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok. A book about a strong, hard-headed, decided girl, who learned to read from her mother... anyone senses the feminism here?

    Thanks, but no thanks.

    ReplyDelete