Thursday, April 26, 2012

Speed date with Araby: MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH by Bethany Griffin

Thursday is Speed Date Night around here. What's a Book Speed Date, you ask? It's a quickie review--about 150 words or so--of any genre book (variety is the spice of life, after all). If you're interested in joining in the speed dating fun, sign up in the Linky below. This speed date is all about "meeting" new books. Cheers, my reader friends!

Cover image of young adult novel Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
YA Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian
320 pages, hardcover
Available now (April 2012)
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Review copy provided by publisher via Amazon Vine
Everything is in ruins. A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.

What do you do when your entire world is dying? Go party and shoot up! Woo! That's what Araby and her BFF do, anyway. Hidden behind air-filtering masks, the girls try to lose themselves in music and guys and blot out the world.

Araby's a sad case: her twin brother died because of her, her mother's a basket case, her father's a noted scientist with a secret, and she lives in constant fear of the plague and the prince who runs everything. 

I'm not a fan of the love triangle in this one because Elliott is a jerk. Okay, I'm not a love triangle fan in the first place but I had a strong reaction to Elliott. Will, on the other hand, is sweet and caring. Sure, he has some bad secrets that could get Araby killed but his reasons were understandable. Elliott...meh. 

With a beautifully dangerous setting and tragic characters, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH lives up to its Edgar Allan Poe inspiration and immerses its reader in a dying world struggling to survive.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound


15 comments:

  1. Araby is such a cool name. I don't mind love triangles all that much but it has to distinguish itself from all the other books to keep me interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the triangles--and so few actually do stand out.

      Delete
  2. Well, I don't know.
    I love the original Poe story - one of the creepiest most scariest things I've ever read, but I don't know how I feel about the love triangle and the dystopian setting, because I'm no big fan of either, but it intrigues me that you liked it so much :P

    And Alison is right, Araby is a cool name :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't *love-die-for-it* because Araby could be really frustrating but it was well worth the read.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Alison that Araby is such a cool name.

    I loath love triangles and really wish that particular trend in books would die a horrid ugly death. What? Too Harsh? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely NOT TOO HARSH!! I'm completely with you. They really, really irritate me, especially when there just there because of conflict and not necessary.

      Delete
  4. Araby is definitely a sad case! She was hard to connect to in this one because she just wasn't living, but I can't wait to see how that changes in the next couple books:) I liked Elliot, but not as much as Will. I'm a Will girl after this first book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely HATED Elliot when I first met him but he grew on me a bit, once he opened up. Still, he's pretty selfish and pompous. Now Will? LOVE. Even with what happened with the bad guys/rebels.

      Delete
  5. Ah, a love triangle...and one where you don't care for one of the guys? That's somewhat even worse. Yikes.

    I'll probably still check it out at my library, because I am curious to see the Poe aspects :)

    Nice honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth a read, just for the atmosphere of the book, if nothing else.

      Delete
  6. Agreed, I didn't like Elliott at all, except at the end a teeny bit, but mostly I was all for Will, even despite the ending. Like you saw I wasn't the hugest fan of this one, but I agree that the atmosphere it portrayed was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhg. Elliot. Why did she do what he said? Why did she trust him? A shake-worthy moment.

      Delete
  7. It's official. Everyone has read this book but me. :(

    And of course going to a party should be priority one if the world is ending. Why not? The love triangle doesn't sound appealing to me at all, but I still might give this a go, just because it sounds so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surprisingly the love triangle didn't bother me so much. I had a hard time with Elliot but he grew on me. I thought Will was great but I was a little devastated with his one choice even though I kinds got it too. Had a hard time connecting with the characters but the world was great (well, horrible. But you know what I mean). I liked it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elliot sucks! Not really much to say beyond that; couldn't understand why Araby helped him and was drawn to him. I did love Will although like Candace above me, I was devastated with his choice even though it was understandable.

    ReplyDelete