Thursday, April 19, 2012

Speed Date with America: THE SELECTION by Kiera Cass

Thursday is Speed Date Night around here. What's a Book Speed Date, you ask? It's a quickie review--about 150 words or so--of any genre book (variety is the spice of life, after all). If you're interested in joining in the speed dating fun, sign up in the Linky below. This speed date is all about "meeting" new books. Cheers, my reader friends!
THE SELECTION (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass
YA Dystopian Romance
327 pages, hardcover
Publisher: HarperTeen
Review copy provided by publisher
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Another dystopia. Another YA trilogy. Another love triangle. While these may not be the most positive of descriptors lately, THE SELECTION surprised me by pulling me in and carrying me along for the ride (read this puppy in one night!). 

America is convinced--by both her family and Aspen, the boy she loves--to put her name into the hat for the chance to raise her caste status, earn some extra money for her rather poor family, and possibly become a princess by marrying the snobby prince. Of course, she's picked and off to the palace she goes, leaving her heart behind with the adorable Aspen (though she thinks he's broken up with her and moved on). 

But the prince isn't a snob, he's just sheltered. Despite her best intentions, she starts to like him--first as a friend and then as something more. (Though I really wish he would stop calling the girls "my dear". He's not 90.)

This first book has a lot of set-up. Between the romance(s), the interesting society with castes, and the Northern/Southern rebels who might or might not be searching for "something", there's a lot going on and plenty of set up for the rest of the trilogy. I'm intrigued and am looking forward to being swept up in the next part of this story.

10 comments:

  1. I'm curious about this one. Julie of My 5 Monkeys wasn't thrilled with it and I'm not into dystopia, but it does sound very interesting. I imagine I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting to put my hand on this book, nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super curious about this. NOt only is it a dystopian - my fav genre - everyone has such mixed opinions that I gotta get in there and see what the fuss is about lol. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I think it sounds like a likable book but I know I tend to lose patience when there is a lot of set up. However, I still do want to read this book, I just didn't know it was a trilogy and now I'm thinking if I should just wait.

    :D

    Also, I've decided to do the Speed Date every other week :D So I'm already preparing my review for next one :D
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!!! I read this one all in one night too, it just sucked me in and I had to know what was going to happen:) It was just one of those books that reminded me why I love reading - to have fun and escape the world for a little while. So glad you enjoyed it Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for this one. It has so many mixed reviews that I just need to see what I think of it! I'm definitely very curious about Aspen and the Prince! :) Great Speed Date, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive read such a variety of things about this one. But what ive gathered is that if you go in not expecting anything then you might be surprised you DO like it. So I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! I totally agree about Maxon calling the girls My Dear... It made him sound so old! This book was a really surprising read to me as well, it wasn't what I was expecting! Glad you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ended up really liking this book, which I was not expecting at all. And for whatever reason, Maxon saying "my dear" didn't bother me-although that is something that easily could have bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though The Selection does have its bad moments, the good overrides the bad. It was a fun, magical read that made me remember the fairy tales of old. Princesses, Princes, love triangles, they all figured into The Selection and I loved it for that! It was beautiful in (almost) every way.

    ReplyDelete