Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Some possible YA book covers I'd like to see

I'll admit it--I'm a very visual person. Probably why I like Pinterest so much (so much that my IRL friends make fun of me for pinning everything in sight!). 

A lot of the time, a great book cover is the difference between me sticking with the ARC (if I'm lucky enough to get one) and me buying a final copy. It's hard to deny that many YA covers have been of girls in pretty, flowing dresses, some looking very dead. While I actually *like* some of those, it's great when there's a new, eye-catching cover out there. And I'm usually one of the first to pick those up and add it to my bookshelf.

So, trolling around Pinterest, I've kept in mind my desire for beautiful covers and here are some I've pinned to my board ("Would Make a Cool Book Cover"):
Two people almost kissing beneath a red umbrella book cover.
Wouldn't this be adorable for a YA Contemporary love story?
Picture: keep your secrets book cover
And what about this one? Ooh, secrets and mysteries! (credit)
Girl in three-way mirror who can't find herself--book cover
This could be even creepier, if Photoshopped a bit more
Girl behind her hands but still exposed -- book cover
This one's a little eerie, too; like, she's hiding but exposed (CREDIT)
Girl covered in paint splash -- book cover
Different outfit, brighter color and you'd have an awesome cover

Wouldn't it be cool (but a lot of pressure) to design dazzling book covers that draw in the reader and make him/her pick up a book? What kind of covers draw you in?

17 comments:

  1. Those are awesome - especially the first one! I think it depends on my mood. I like monochromatic sometimes, bright and colourful others. I like photos, drawings, designs. But when I don't like it, I never pick it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing. I think if I had talent for graphic design, designing book covers would be my dream job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the one with the hands a little creepy but really liked the rest :D
    They would make lovely covers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I really like all these, but the first is my favorite. That would make an adorable cover for an adorable YA contemp. For some reason it made me think of the cover for The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. I really don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these would make awesome book covers. I especially love the first and third one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to troll the net for good covers. The one with the face is very "eye"-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you really did find some great ones! I love the umbrella one. And the hands on face one is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooooo those are GORGEOUS! I especially love the first two, I want to take them and add type to them make them into covers myself! The mirror one reminds me a of a creepier version of The Selection - a haunted Selection if you will:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary! You should totally design book covers. You have a good eye for eye catching photos! Love these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These would make some fantastic book covers! I'm such a fan of the first one! It's adorable. Some of them are creepy but awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a completely cool idea! You chose some really good images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg these are awesome! I love that hand one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome photos! The first one and the second to last one are my favs. How did you find these images? I have a Pinterest account but I don't think I've figured out how to really use it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg I do this kind of post too when I see a potential book cover, and its nice to find you here! I loved that one with that girl with mystery vibe thing going on. Great pictures. New follower, please feel free to check my blog too when you got time. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love the idea of finding photos and thinking of potential book covers. So cool! Really love the umbrella one: so cute! (And that hand one? CREEPY but very cool)

    ReplyDelete
  16. the blackwhite picture of the girl with the hands into face is mine.
    please link me: ljs-fotografie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete