Saturday, April 7, 2012

Juicing leads to: BAD TASTE IN BOYS by Carrie Harris

YA humorous paranormal
201 pages, hardcover
Available now (July 2011)
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Review copy purchased

Someone's been a very bad zombie.
Kate Grable is horrified to find out that the football coach has given the team steroids. Worse yet, the steriods are having an unexpected effect, turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless flesh-eating zombies. No one is safe--not her cute crush Aaron, not her dorky brother, Jonah . . . not even Kate! She's got to find an antidote--before her entire high school ends up eating each other. So Kate, her best girlfriend, Rocky, and Aaron stage a frantic battle to save their town  . . . and stay hormonally human.

If you're looking for a quick, fun read--this is it. Kate Grable is a science geek, using her know-how to patch up her high school's injured football players (not a bad job, if you can get it!). Since they suck, she spends a lot of time putting her medical skills to use. But she stumbles on a terrible secret--the coach is pumping the team full of juicy badness in an effort to turn the team around (they really, really suck). Too bad it's turning them into flesh-crazed zombies instead of the muscular jocks the coach was hoping for.

Not being the kind of girl to just sit back and let it happen, Kate uses her brain to try and cure the zombie virus before it spreads to everyone she knows. Zombie-ism isn't pretty and she'd rather be taping up sprains and crushing on the cute quarterback than fighting off blue-gummed, black-puking zombies with pieces dropping off them. I mean, who wouldn't, right?

I really enjoyed Kate and her unabashed smarts and her connection to the world and friends despite the smarts (too many "geeks" are portrayed as loners or weirdos. Boo!). BAD TASTE IN BOYS is fast and funny, hitting you hard and leaving you breathless for more. Really, I wished this book was longer but I'm happy to hear that this is just the first of Kate's stories--the next, BAD HAIR DAY, will be out November 2012.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read! I've added it to my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my Nook but I haven't got around to reading it! I totally agree about geeks being portrayed as loners and weirdos because most of the time that certainly isn't the case! These zombies sound disgusting! :) Great review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really was a quick, fun read! I have the second book on my iPad, and I can't wait to get started on it. :) Glad you found it interesting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea this book was funny!
    :) I thought it was just another zombie book. But now I think I might give it a try, I'm going to put it on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read this for so long I even have it on my reader. I was reminded when i saw the sequel on Netgalley. I think maybe this summer when I feel in the book for a quick "me" book. I'm fairly certain I'd enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive heard this is funny but you have me really wanting to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I've kind of passed this one over, but lately I've been hearing good things about it. Might have to pick it up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quick, fun, read about zombies? I'm in :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love me a good zombie story and Bad Taste in Boys is a particularly fun tale of limb loss, undead cannibalism and really bad breath. Kate is the perfect heroine and much closer to real life than your standard fictional science geek. She may be socially awkward from time to time, but she's not a total outcast. She has friends and a relatively normal family and a combination of insecurities and strengths that you would expect to find in any normal high school girl. The secondary characters - Kate's friends, her brother, Aaron, the zombies - are also well drawn and even though we don't know their life stories, they're three dimensional individuals.

    ReplyDelete