Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How do I love thee: INSURGENT by Veronica Roth

YA Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian
525 pages, hardcover
Available May 1, 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Review copy provided by publisher

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

Wowzers. I was out of breath with I finished this book, my muscles aching like I'd just run a marathon. This is one of the most action-packed books of this genre I've ever read, filled with drama, guilt, deception, double-crosses, and a great love story.

Let's start with the love story. While it's not the primary plot in this book, it does take much of the reader's attention as we watch the relationship of Four/Tobias and Tris develop beyond puppy love and into a fully-fledged, mature interaction between two people. There's serious respect between these two and, despite secrets on both sides, there's also a very strong relationship. It's true love, the kind that survives trials and tribulations and only grows deeper and stronger. This is how a love story should go. No insta-love. No stupid misunderstandings that can't be resolved with a sit-down conversation. 

This isn't to say they're happy with one another for, well, much of the novel. They're at odds, fighting constantly about the difficult circumstances in which they find themselves, and both eaten up with guilt for things they've said and done. The tension between the two of them is palpable. But so is the desire and the love. It's both beautifully balanced and electrifying. And that's merely a sub-plot. 

The meat of the story has he factions splintering, some barely holding together while others split down the center in a deadly and painful rift. People are forced to take sides in this war, to stick with their chosen factions or return to their blood family. Some betray those who trust them, many are betrayed by those who claim to love them.

The characters themselves are so intriguing, it's hard to leave their sides for even a moment. Tris had to make some terrible choices in DIVERGENT, choices that now weigh her down, leave her drowning in guilt, especially since she can't share it with anyone. Despite these burdens, Tris soldiers on, because that's who she is. She's a trooper, she's loyal and brave and desperate to prove herself to the world. Four--now called Tobias for most of this story (though, personally, I really prefer the name Four)--bears the same traits as Tris, which is probably why they make such a perfect couple. Watching them survive things that would destroy lesser folks is heart-wrenching.

And then there's that last line. How...what...OMFG. Truly. It completely turned everything we knew about this society, this world on its head. This is one of the biggest, twistiest-twists I've ever read and it has me panting for the final installment (*sob*) in this mind-blowing series. Which kind of sucks because that's a year away. Still, I have the first two books in the series to tied me over. Read-along, anyone?

Available for pre-order on Amazon | IndieBound

14 comments:

  1. AAAAAH SO EXCITED FOR THIS!!! SO happy that it lives up to the hype and SUPER curious about these twists!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one pre-ordered. So excited for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing review. I can't wait. Excellent....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!!! This book was beyond amazing! I really enjoyed how the love story played out in this one. It felt very real ti the situations they are in. Now I need the next book!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divergent was one of my favorite books of last year so of course I can't wait to read Insurgent. This one sounds even more awesome and intense than Divergent was. I'll have to pick up a copy of this one as soon as it comes out. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I'm not reading this very closely because I don't even want to be spoiled by impressions, but just from the few lines I picked out I am all "GAHHHH CAN'T WAIT!!!" I'm so glad that basically everyone is adoring this one just as much as Divergent. Soooooo (etc) excited for my copy to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!
    I'm so glad you liked this so much!!
    :D it's awesome when a sequel is as good as the first book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes!! I still have to read book one. Good thing I'm already in love with Four. He is a popular choice for MBB. LOL

    I don't know how I'd react to Four and Tris fighting all the time, but I think the building tension between them sounds incredible.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and further convincing me to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MUST READ THIS IMMEDIATELY!!!! I can hardly wait to get my hands on it in a week, it wants me to read it. I only skimmed your review but now I'm dying to get to that last line. I'M COMING FOUR, I LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! Mary Great review ... I cant wait to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning review, Mary! You've made me even more excited for this one. Although, that last line twist sounds a bit intimidating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope mine ships fast once its out, I cant wait to read it! I'm so happy to hear it didn't disappoint! I'm a bit terrified for the end though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I simply can't wait for this to come out.
    Come on, I swear time actually starts going backwards for me these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Word. Tris is TOTALLY a trooper and that is why I love her so much! And I too loved the development of her relationship with Tobias. I liked that Roth didn't take the easy route of inserting a second love interest or anything, but the conflict came from a different sort of angle. Glad you loved Insurgent as well :-D

    ReplyDelete