Thursday, March 8, 2012

Speed date with Joanne: RAVEN CALLS by C.E. Murphy

This is a new meme. If you're interested in participating, leave your link below and we can do a full-on speed dating thing. All we need after that is some drinks and awkward conversation! Hehe.


RAVEN CALLS (The Walker Papers #7) by C.E. Murphy
Urban Fantasy (adult)
368 pages, paperback
Available now (Feb. 2012)
Publisher: Luna
Review copy provided by publisher via NetGalley


Something wicked this way comes…


Suddenly, being bitten by a werewolf is the least of Joanne Walker’s problems. Her personal life in turmoil, her job as a cop over, she’s been called to Ireland by the magic within her. And though Joanne’s skills have grown by leaps and bounds, Ireland’s magic is old and very powerful…


In fact, this is a case of unfinished business. Because the woman Joanne has come to Ireland to rescue is the woman who sacrificed everything for Joanne—the woman who died a year ago. Now, through a slip in time, she’s in thrall to a dark power and Joanne must battle darkness, time and the gods themselves to save her.


This is one series that I always look forward to reading. Joanne Walker, the main character, is a solid, down-to-earth woman filled with amazing power that she really has no idea how to use (well, at first--she's getting better!). An Irish Shaman, a grease monkey mechanic, a former detective, Joanne's had a lot thrown at her in the last year or so, including a surprisingly sweet yet very tenuous relationship with her now-ex-boss, Morrison (ooh, hottie!).


This chapter of Joanne's life takes her back to Ireland to confront her past and face her future. And the best part of it? Her BFF, Gary the cab driver. Love Gary. He's gruff and tough and his solid, steady presence grounds Joanne through all the craziness that blows through her life.


Though I absolutely loved this one, it's probably not the best of the series to start with, since there's lots of mythology and connections that might be confusing if you don't have a Joanne background to call upon.





11 comments:

  1. Oh this looks great! I'm not sure I've ever heard of this series, though. But it definitely looks fun. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for joining in--I set up the linky thing wrong so your name didn't show up but it should be all fixed now! You're awesome.

      I'm comin' by to see your "date"! :)

      Delete
  2. Mary, Since I have a little brain, can you please tell me how this Speed Date meme works? Is it just like a quickie review of a book you've recently read? I'm not sure how to participate. I know, I'm a peanut head, but I do love me some drinks and awkward conversation. LOL

    I honestly never heard of this series before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That explanation isn't very good, is it? Yes. It's a quickie review--could be a new one, could be old. I'd set the linky up wrong so the names didn't display (now they will) but all you have to do is click on the blue-teal "Add your link" button at the end of the post and there you go. Then you can stop by and see the "dates" of anyone who's participating.

      You're definitely not a peanut head! Totally my poor explanation--see, I so need that drink. Heh.

      Delete
  3. I ran across this bookma couple of weeks ago when I was highlighting upcoming books, Now that I read your review, I am going to go check out the series. I want to meet Gary and go to Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed this series. You really should check it out if you like urban fantasy.

      Delete
  4. I've been seeing this one around and I've been wanting to read C.E. Murphy. Have you read any of her other series? I'm not sure which of her series to start with... I guess I'll probably just hold off for now because I have my hands full as it is, but I do want to read her sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely my fave series of hers so far. I tried the Negotiator series but wasn't as enraptured as I am with this one. Don't know what it is about Joanne but I really want to see her win!

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard much about this series which is surprising to me given this is book 7! I read one of the gargoyle books be CE Murphy and enjoyed that one, so maybe I'll give this series a try too. Though obviously I won't start with this book:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not like that gargoyle series (Negotiator series, if that's the same one) nearly as much as this series with Joanne and Gary and all the other awesome people around her. If you can, start at the beginning but, if not, she does a decent job with getting new readers into the world.

      Delete
  6. This series sounds great! And I like that you say the heroine is very down to hearth! That's always a plus!! :D

    ReplyDelete