Thursday, March 29, 2012

Speed Date with Alex: FATED by Benedict Jacka

Thursday is Speed Date Night around here. What's a Book Speed Date, you ask? It's a quickie review--about 150 words or so--of any genre book (variety is the spice of life, after all). If you're interested in joining in the speed dating fun, sign up in the Linky below. This speed date is all about "meeting" new books. Cheers, my reader friends!

Book cover of Fated by Benedict Jacka
Urban Fantasy
304 pages, paperback
Available now (Feb. 2012)
Publisher: Ace Books
Review copy purchased

Alex Verus is part of a world hidden in plain sight, running a magic shop in London. And while Alex's own powers aren't as showy as some mages, he does have the advantage of foreseeing the possible future--allowing him to pull off operations that have a million-to-one-chance of success.

But when Alex is approached by multiple factions to crack open a relic from a long-ago mage war, he knows that whatever's inside must be beyond powerful. And thanks to his abilities, Alex can predict that by taking the job, his odds of survival are about to go from slim to none...

If you like urban fantasy and love Jim Butcher, you'll love this new series. Alex Verus (I kept wanting to call him "Alex Versus"--bad me!) has the power of foresight, the ability to see possibilities and probabilities. He can't predict the future, just what might happen based on what path he or someone else takes. Though it's not as impressive as a guy who can burn you to a crisp or a girl who can crush your heart with a flick of her finger, it's very handy when answering a phone without caller ID or knowing when to pick your underwear up off the ground before the uninvited guest arrives at your door.

While some story elements felt uncomfortably close to the world of Harry Dresden (hello, council who doesn't like Alex; apprenticed as a kid to a dark and cruel wizard/mage; on the outs with much of the magical world), the story itself swept me up and carried me off to a world filled with Light and Dark mages, the powerful and the powerless, and a plethora of interesting creatures. I'm pretty jazzed that there will be another two released in quick succession: CURSED (May 2012) and TAKEN (August 2012).

Available on Amazon | IndieBound

7 comments:

  1. I like the idea of book speed dating. I might have to join in in the future! I always have a few books lying around that I haven't written reviews for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun book. After loving Alice, I'm intrigued with the idea of knowing the future. I particularly like it as it is here, where the future is a series of possibilities - not certainties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *giggles*
    When I first read his last name I read it as Versus, lol. I only checked when you mentioned later on.

    The book sounds pretty good actually, even if it sounds like some elements were somewhat similar to other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of urban fantasy but I have yet to read the Harry Dresden books. Clearly that is a mistake of epic proportions that must be remedied instantly! Though with this series it might be a benefit since I then wouldn't be able to make any comparisons between the two:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! I totally forgot about this! I couldn't even get the internet to work for me last night when I was working on a review so I probably couldn't have done anything anyway but still! :(

    I'm liking the sound of this book! I haven't read too much Urban Fantasy but I've always wanted to do so. Great review, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo! I first heard of this series from Candace. She is a fan and said much the same as you about Alex! Yup, I think is it about time I meet him for myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read Harry Dresden just yet so I couldn't compare but I really enjoyed this one so hearing you thought it was similar has me more anxious to read Dresden files. And yes the rapid release is a huge Yay for me too!

    ReplyDelete