Friday, March 23, 2012

Kiss Me, I'm Irish Read-A-Long: Week 4 with HOUNDED by Kevin Hearne

Welcome to Week #3 of the Kiss Me, I'm Irish read-along! We're reading HOUNDED by Kevin Hearne, one of my favorite new Urban Fantasy series. If you haven't read his first three novels, why not? Holy cow, they're awesome!

Discussion Schedule:
March 02nd: Chapters 1-5 hosted by Geeky Blogger's Book Blog
March 09th: Chapters 6-10 hosted by On a Book Bender
March 16th: Chapters 11-15 hosted by Smash Attack Reads!
March 23rd: Chapters 16-20 hosted by In the Closet With a Bibliophile
March 30th: Chapters 21-25 + epilogue hosted by The Unread Reader
April 06th: Special interview with Kevin Hearne & announcement of winners!

Questions for Chapters 16-20

1. Just after Atticus is shot, Oberon has to "ninja" his way out of the shop and into Hal's Beamer (with the icky air freshener). Have you ever been in a situation where you had to "ninja" your way out and try not to be discovered? If so, what happened?

At my small college, one thing you had to do was climb the chapel. To do so, you had to sneak into the church, climb up the not-so-secret ladder up to the steeple, and then out to the widow's walk around the peak. And, of course, you had to have a drink up there. While our security wasn't all that tight, they did keep a pretty good eye on the chapel because of said tradition. Still, I climbed that chapel every year--even the year they tried to put a lock on the hatch to the outside! Yep. That's the extent of my ninja-ing.

2. Atticus's main goal through a large portion of the book is not only protecting Oberon, but also protecting the sword. You are now living in a paranormal world and you need a weapon! What weapon do you choose and what can it do?

A sword, of course! Maybe a katana, just because it's a sword with a cool name. Or maybe two swords so I could swing them around and around and make my opponent dizzy. Plus, they'd look really cool strapped to my back. No magical juju needed because, seriously, I'd kick that much ass with just my strap-on swords (okay, that came out wrong. hehe.).

3. To recharge and heal after being shot, Atticus sleeps naked, tattoos to the earth, in a patch of grass near the Civic Center in downtown Scottsdale. Where is the weirdest place you have ever slept?

I crashed in the middle of a beer tent at a Highland Games, with pipe bands playing their little hearts out all around me. To be fair, I played pipes in one of those bands so the music was soothing...like a really loud lullaby. (No, I wasn't drunk, either.)

4. We finally find out some very interesting information about Granuaile and I don't know about you, but I certainly wasn't expecting to find that she's sharing her head with someone else. What about you, did you expect anything along those lines? If not, what were you expecting concerning Granuaile?

Now that one, I really wasn't expecting. I mean, I thought Granuaile would have some awesome magic-y thing going on with her but sharing her head-space with someone else was so not what I ever thought would happen. Cool and yet completely freaky.

5. Laksha is a witch, a truly evil one at that for many of the things she's done in the past. However, she's supposedly seen the error of her ways. Do you think she really has? Would you be willing to trust her? Do you think Atticus is smart to have decided to trust her to help him with the "other" witches?

First off, that name--Lakasha--isn't it from the Anne Rice vampire books? I think she was the Queen of the Vamps, wasn't she? (I'm sure I could Google this...) Anyway, that's what kept running through my head any time I heard her name so, even though she's supposedly reformed-ish, I kept thinking of her as the bad guy. I suppose that even bad guys can have moments. Isn't the expression, "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer"? If she's going to help Atticus and not backstab him, I think it's worth the risk. He's got to trust at some point, though he should be prepared for anything.

15 comments:

  1. Strap on swords! Hahahahahaha! I can't control my giggles today. Seriously. I have to say in the case of swords, two would be better than one, I like your idea of swinging them about and making your opponent dizzy. Complete win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *giggles*
    You're so much more Ninja than I am.
    And I don't know about weird places where I've slept.
    I went camping a bit when I was a kid, so probably next to a river that was threatening to wash away our campsite.

    Our tent - the unpopular girls' tent - was one of the two that didn't collapse when it started to rain, so we made some boys pay tribute in the form of their last box of cookies and a large box of cereal - to let them crash.

    anyway, this book discussion keeps getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is my mind in the gutter with the mention of strap on swords? Did anyone ever fall off the said chwpel roof after drinking?
    I had to stop and think about your Ame Rice thing, and I remembered, you were really close but her name was Akasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Maybe that is why I can't fully trust Laksha it's too close to Lakasha!

    I am amazed at your sleeping skills. I am also amazed at your playing skills. Those instruments are hard!

    Strap-on swords. Hee hee... I like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you crash out in a beer camp at Highland Games - sounds awesome - not to mention full of Highlanders???
    Strap on swords?? Very funny.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have love it if my college had a tradition like climbing the chapel. You'd definitely have to have some serious ninja skills to pull that off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good call on the Lakasha name..... once a bad guy always a bad guy.... or that just pessimistic? :) Good answers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome ninja-ness. What a fun tradition!

    lol - everyone needs a strap-on sword!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strap on sword *snorts* that is one scary college tradition, I'm a bit nervous of heights so I'm very glad I didn't go to your college!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome tradition at your school! And you did it every year ~ there must be a club for that; you should've gotten at least a t-shirt for your feat!

    OMG~ strap on swords!!!! how old are we? tee hee hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaaha! Mary, I wonder why everyone's weird places I've slept stories involve alcohol. And yes, katana is a cool name, but you better believe if I ever had to face you while you held two, I'd run the other way. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, I did not comment! I know I read this on Friday---work is killing me man and evidently making me hallucinate comments.

    So OMG about climbing a tower! I so could not do that---I would fall, wound my pride (because my hiney would cover the rest), and not be very ninja either!

    Dude I wouldn't have to drink to crash in the middle of the beer tent at Highland Games! I would just need to follow the kilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strap-on swords. *Giggles* I'd probably knock myself out with the swords before I could use it on my opponent. I'm coordinated like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd say you rocked your ninja-ing skills. I mean, you can even get through locks. "strap on swords" *laughs* That. Is. Awesome. But, I totally get it. I love the idea of the swords on my back and a lot of black leather. Now, I don't think I could currently pull off leather, LOL! And I definitely have no idea how to use said swords, but how awesome would that be?!

    A really loud lullaby! Gotta love that. I could see how you may have been used to the loud sound of the pipes though.

    ReplyDelete