Friday, March 2, 2012

Kiss Me, I'm Irish: HOUNDED Read Along!




Welcome to Week #1 of the Kiss Me, I'm Irish read-along! We're reading HOUNDED by Kevin Hearne, one of my favorite new Urban Fantasy series. If you haven't read his first three novels, why not? Holy cow, they're awesome!
Discussion Schedule:
March 02nd: Chapters 1-5 hosted by Geeky Blogger's Book Blog
March 09th: Chapters 6-10 hosted by On a Book Bender
March 16th: Chapters 11-15 hosted by Smash Attack Reads!
March 23rd: Chapters 16-20 hosted by In the Closet With a Bibliophile
March 30th: Chapters 21-25 + epilogue hosted by The Unread Reader
April 06th: Special interview with Kevin Hearne & announcement of winners!


1. Kevin Hearne had the most perfect beginning for this book: "There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius." If you were to live for centuries what do you think you would be excited to see?


The evolution of humankind. Reading through history books makes me wonder how much we've really changed. Are we better/worse/the same? While I can make guesses based on other people's accounts, I'd like to be able to witness and judge for myself. (Of course, this might be a rather disappointing thing...but I'm an optimist by nature.)


2. In the 2nd chapter we learn about the amulet and its protection powers!  Do you think, having met the Morrigan and heard about Aenghus Og, that it will be enough to protect Atticus? I mean the Morrigan has a point about hot chicks coming after him and his defenses might be down! He is very male!


No. I think Atticus is sunk. His manliness will seep past that protection and bestir womankind to a frenzy (I mean, just look at his fierceness on those covers! How can you stop all that man juice with a flimsy amulet?). Plus, it just adds to the conflict. What he really needs is a strong woman to guard him...I might could volunteer for that position...


3. The literary world's coolest dog is introduced in this chapter!  Did you love Oberon immediately?  Show me a picture or describe the type of animal you would love to have as a talking companion! (Cat, Dog, Mouse, Sloth, Horse---what is your pick--pictures please)?


Oberon has got to be one of my favorite literary critters. He's sweet and protective, loves his person and his sausages, and is a big, hairy buddy to Atticus. Me, I already have two talking companions--Finnegan and Fiona, my mutts: 
Sir Finnegan of Cockney and Princess Fiona, who appears often on this blog.
4. In this chapter Flidais asked Atticus what his name is and then precedes to ask if anyone actually believes he is Greek? He says nobody pays attention to names here. Do you know what your name means and where it comes from? Or do you have a name you wish had?  Let's talk names!


Mary is a family name--I was named after my grandmother and great-grandmother on my mom's side. My aunt is also a Mary. My middle name, Adeline, is my paternal grandmother's name. I did look it up when I was younger--Mary means bitter. (Hey, I'm not bitter...often!) But Adeline means noble. So I'm bitter but noble. At least I have a lot of good songs with my name in it.


5. We learn about Atticus' lawyers in this chapter, a rather unique combo!  Without jumping ahead, would you hire a lawyer combination of two supernaturals who on the surface would appear to be natural enemies or at the very least two very Alpha attitudes? What would be the positives and negatives of that decision?


Really, should I ever need lawyers, I'd hope they were fierce and would fight tooth and nail for me and my cause. I think that they can work together, even though they're both Alphas, because they handle different aspects of the firm and their clients. On the negative side of that, Alphas have a hard time backing down, which could cause problems.

29 comments:

  1. I usually don't read read-along posts, but I loved yours! :D

    I'm very tempted to read this book since you mention Oberon, I love books with animals in them.

    And I do know what my names mean. Alejandra means protector of mankind/the weak. And Marisol is either Mary of Solitude or Sea and Sun, depending which of my parents you ask. lol

    Thanks for sharing the picks of Finn and Fi, they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't usually read read-along posts either! But Hounded ROCKS! And so does Oberon. :)

      Delete
  2. Toooo funny!

    Your dog and I sharing Fiona! I love the names Finn and Fiona---such romantic names.

    I love your middle name that is so beautiful :)

    Alex--I love your name too :) What a fantastic combo your parents gave you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I had to give my pups romantic names since Mary's just not all that (not that it's bad!).

      Delete
  3. Lol..your name sounds like Ron's Tea Leaves reading in Divinations class...you know..."So your going to suffer...but...you're going to be happy about it..." lol :)

    As for the alphas...the more the better is my opinion! You can never have too much strength, muscle, or weapons is my thought.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL--that's actually what I thought when I was writing it! :)

      Delete
  4. "Are we better/worse/the same? While I can make guesses based on other people's accounts, I'd like to be able to witness and judge for myself."

    YES! You have to wonder how accurate our written accounts are, and how much is left out simply because you can't record everything.

    And oh my gosh look at the epic head cock Sir Finnegan is doing! LOVE IT! Those faces are just too cute:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's got to be an amazing amount of information not in those records--I'd love to know what!

      Delete
  5. I suspect most of it would turn out depressing but I would love to witness some of it from my own eyes.

    Awwww Sir Finnegan of Cockney and Princess Fiona are so full of adorbe!
    And I really love your middle name. It's very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments!

      It'd be amazing to see all that history as it happens then see how people react 100 years later.

      Delete
  6. What beautiful dogs!!! They look so cuddly. And LOL, indeed how can you stop all that man juice from oozzing out!!!! too funny and SO true! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL--thanks! Happy Friday (well, weekend now) to you, too!

      Delete
  7. Sir Finnegan of Cockney and Princess Fiona are freaking adorable! And it looks like they really enjoy posing for pictures.

    And you're right about your name being in a lot of great songs. I'd be jealous if it weren't for Blake Shelton and his Honey Bee song. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Honey Bee song! I think it's really cool that's the meaning of your name, too.

      Delete
  8. Ha! I loved all your talk about man juice. Yep he is doomed. Your two puppies are adorable they have that I am so innocent look but I bet you turn your back and trouble! As far as are we better or worse or the same. I wonder, can you imagine sitting in while they wrote the Consitution were they serious or were there fart jokes and gestures at hot chicks..probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep--you nailed it. Those adorable pups are trouble!

      And I can only imagine our founding fathers acting like, well, typical guys as they wrote all that serious stuff. Love to be a fly on the wall there.

      Delete
  9. I always wonder how accurate those history books are. I never thought about it growing up, but then I talk to Hubs who grew up in Communist Albania and his accounts of that time and WWII are SOOO much different than mine. It's weird. I'd like to go back and see what REALLY happened.

    You could volunteer, but you'd have to get rid of me because I'm ALREADY THERE! And, your dogs are adorable. I love the head cock and the bow. They are so cute!

    Bitter but Noble, LOL!! I like that. My name isn't even Mary and I have bitter issues. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always at least two sides to every story--I'd love to know more & witness through my own eyes.

      Bitter chicks unite! Lol.

      Delete
  10. Man juice, huh? Yeah, Atticus has that.

    So, I use behindthename.com to check name meanings. Mary is also a biblical name, so I thought I would check it out. It says, "The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including 'sea of bitterness', 'rebelliousness', and 'wished for child'. However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry 'beloved' or mr 'love'." I kind of like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer the definitions you found--rebellious? Yes. Wished for? I hope so! and Beloved is awesome!

      Delete
  11. Oh your dogs are so cute:) I remember a saying, history is written by the winners, it's probably true but no matter who the writer is there will always be bias. I guess we just have to hope that one day we'll all learn to get along and I guess I share your optimish because that I would like to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History's definitely written by "winners"--so much bias, because we're human!

      Delete
  12. Man juice? Oh that made me snort. :D

    I love your puppies. Too cute! Love that pic!

    I also have a few Marys in my family. None of them seem bitter to me and neither do you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems there's a Mary lurking in many families. We're a popular breed! hehe

      Delete
  13. Oh we might have to fight over protecting Atticus! LOL.
    You're doggies are so stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd fight you for Atticus. Or maybe we could join forces! lol.

      Delete
  14. Yep, Atticus is definitely mind candy. Oberon is so funny and the relationship of the two is just hilarious.
    Love these books.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great series! Love Oberon. (and Atticus, of course).

      Delete
  15. This looks like so much fun, I've always wanted to do a read a long! I just love your dogs! So cute!!! :)

    ReplyDelete