Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Shivery Goodness: FAERY TALES & NIGHTMARES by Melissa Marr

FAERY TALES & NIGHTMARES by Melissa Marr
YA paranormal short stories
432 pages, hardcover
Available Feb. 21, 2012
Review copy provided by author
Publisher: HarperCollins

Dangerous promises and beguiling threats swirl together in a dozen stories of enchantments dark and light by New York Times bestselling author Melissa Marr. Uncanny and unexpected creatures appear from behind bushes, rise from beneath the seas, or manifest from seasonal storms to pursue the objects of their attention—with amorous or sinister intent—relentlessly.

From the gentle tones of a storyteller’s cadences to the terror of a blood sacrifice, tales of favorite characters from Marr’s Wicked Lovely novels mix with accounts of new characters for readers to fall in love with...or to fear.


Table of Contents: 
Where Nightmares Walk (Very short "nightmare")
Winter's Kiss (Girl with power over winter)
Transition (Gory vampire tale)
Love Struck (Selchies on the prowl for love)
Old Habits (Dark Court story that takes place right after INK EXCHANGE)
Stopping Time (Dark Court story with Niall, Irial, and Leslie)
The Art of Waiting (Odd people of the hollow)
Flesh for Comfort (Creepy tale of "helpful" creatures)
The Sleeping Girl and the Summer King (inspiration for Wicked Lovely)
Cotton Candy Skies (Shadow Court story with Rabbit and Olivia)
Unexpected Family (WL story featuring Seth)
Merely Mortal (Winter Court story with Keenan and Donia)

I didn't realize how much I missed the Wicked Lovely world until I lost myself in it again. Lucky for me, six of the stories are set in that world, including the short story that started the series. The Sleeping Girl and the Summer King has shades of Aislinn and Keenan, though set in a different place and time with a different result (Marr herself said this was the story that inspired the series). I particularly enjoyed Old Habits since it involved Niall, Irial, and Devlin, some of my favorite fae boys battling it out to prove their manliness.

One of my favorite fairy tales was Winter's Kiss. It's the story of a young girl whose very breath brings about winter and her journey to find a place and a people who can accept her for who she is. Another great story, Love Struck is a fanciful tale, with a twist upon the traditional selchie mythology, with two hot seal-men and one mortal girl.

Written in Melissa Marr's distinctively dark and haunting style, the short stories in this collection will resonate with fans of darker fairy tales and the world of Wicked Lovely.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound

14 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to checking this book out! I really enjoy Melissa Marr as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marr's got a writing style I really like.

      Delete
  2. I never did finish the Wicked Lovely books, I think I have two left. I just kind of lost interest in them I guess. This kind of sounds like a fun read though! I hadn't paid it much attention before but I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's happened to me with so many series. Maybe, when you have time (haha), they'll call to you.

      Delete
  3. I still need to read the last book in the WL series. I think I've kind of lost interest in it to a little bit. But I'll always love Marr's writing and storytelling so I'll def. be reading this book :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last one was a great wrap-up of the series. Maybe the short stories will pull you back into that world.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like fun. I've only read the first Wicked Lovely book but I loved it. I need to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you don't read all of the WL stories, the other tales are worth the read.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read anything by Marr, but I have heard good things about her books! Glad to know you enjoyed this one, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance and like fantasy, they're definitely a great read!

      Delete
  6. Wow! this sounds like a very interesting book, I like the idea of mixing all of these stories together. I've not read Wicked Lovely but it sounds like the world is awesome.

    And you have tempted me with Winter Kiss :D

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it was about Winter's Kiss but I really liked it--short and sweet and pretty darned cool.

      Delete
  7. This sounds interesting I hadn't realized it was a book of short stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first got it, I didn't realize that either. Pleasantly surprised!

      Delete