Monday, February 20, 2012

Like a fine wine, better with age: A PERFECT BLOOD by Kim Harrison

Urban Fantasy
438 pages, hardcover
Available Feb. 21, 2012
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Review copy provided by publisher

Ritually murdered corpses are appearing across Cincinnati, terrifying amalgams of human and other. Pulled in to help investigate by the FIB, a former witch turned day-walking demon Rachel Morgan soon realizes a horrifying truth--a would-be creator is determined to make his (or her) own demons. But it can't be done without Rachel's blood.

As a bounty hunter, Rachel has battled vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, and more. But humanity itself might be her toughest challenge.

How is it that, after ten books in the same series, Kim Harrison and her most excellent character, Rachel Morgan, just keep getting better? At this point, many series peter out or get repetitive but not The Hollows. This series gets better with age, gaining depth and layers like a fine wine or a good cheese.

When last we left Rachel (and, yes, there will be spoilers but I'll try to keep them to a minimum), she came out. Yep, our little Rache came out as a demon *sniffle*. I'm so proud. Unfortunately for her, that means she pretty much has no rights since she's not human or witch--a fact hammered into her by, of all places, the DMV and her inability to get a license. 

Everyone in the ever-after thinks she's dead, including Al, and Rachel's content to keep it that way, even though her link to the ley lines and the majority of her magic is cut off with that decision. Between the bodyguard her dad put on her, her inability to drive, and her less-than-impressive magical skills, Rachel's more dependent on those she loves than ever and she hates it. Couple that with the bad mojo coming her way in the form of humans trying to turn witches into demons for their own nefarious purposes, and Rachel's having a very bad day/week/year, especially since the authorities think it might actually be her conducting these horrifying experiments. Once again, Rachel must hook up with Trent (yahoo!) to discover what's really going on and stop it before they succeed.

Extensive character development, a fast-forward-moving plot, and more action than you can shake a demon at, A PERFECT BLOOD is one damn fine vintage, crafted by a master storyteller.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound

5 comments:

  1. So, I have to be honest. After the whole Kisten situation, I couldn't continue on with this series. I was beside myself when things happened as they did and I just haven't been able to bring myself to try the series again:( I really enjoyed it up to that point though, so maybe now that my pain isn't quite so raw I can catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the series is still living up to the awesome, I love when series do that :d

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my series list for this year! I really think I would love this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't even started this series, but now I want to read that book! I think it sounds really good, so I'll look into the first books :) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading it but was left felling hollow and wanting more! I understand the story line and that things had to change but it went no where and didnt have a great climax. I was disappionted how she wrote Al. He was too nice. I hope she has another book coming out soon to fill in the empty feeling this one left!

    ReplyDelete