Saturday, December 31, 2011

EVERY OTHER DAY by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

EVERY OTHER DAY by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
YA Urban Fantasy
336 pages
Available Dec. 27, 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA
Review copy provided by publisher for honest review (via NetGalley)

Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human. And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely. Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.
When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.

Positive: Fantastic urban fantasy world. One of my favorite things is when an author takes our world and spins it on its head. Barnes does this exceptionally well, starting with Charles Darwin's famous voyage -- that's when the world twists. Darwin doesn't just formulate the theory of evolution, he also reveals to the world all the creatures people thought mythical. In Kali's time, many of those creatures are considered endangered and protected from killing, making her job all that much tougher.
Positive: Great female characters. Kali, Bethany, and Skylar. All unique and interesting, characters who do not stagnate but grow and develop into amazing people. Kali, despite her repetitive belief that no one would understand her issues (and, unfortunately, that bit got very repetitive), risks her own life for a girl she doesn't even like. Bethany, who starts out as the typical mean girl cheerleader, grows past that stereotype into an admirable young woman. And Skylar. Oh, Skylar. With her joie de vivre and her precognition and her cool family, Skylar is my favorite character by far. Oh, and there's a fantastically evil villainess who strides through the story, doing naughty things in click-y high heels.
Positive: Interesting premise. Kali's unsure of who she is--a seemingly human girl one day and a supernatural killing machine the next. Her father and others are neck-deep in intrigue that involves Kali. Then there's the whole Chupacabra thing which, in this case is a parasite that kills humans but can bond with others (this was a little...odd, especially since Chupacabras are generally known as blood-sucking goat killers but okay).
Wish: A better ending. Unfortunately, the end was a bit too muddled for me. There were explanations and death (one terrible, terrible death) and military types and wow. That, plus the half-baked love story with Zev, who kind of creeped me out--it was just too much. Still, I wasn't disappointed, just confused.
Overall: An excellent addition to any urban fantasy shelf, EVERY OTHER DAY packs  intrigue, action, and some fabulous characters into a well-told story.

Available on Amazon | IndieBound

9 comments:

  1. Great review Mary I was going to read this one but the ARC was broken and Netgalley didn't have it anymore :( t sounds really great and i Love great female roles especially!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and you changed your blog!! It's really cute I love the puppy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - the premise does sound really unique! And I also love how deep the characters sound. It's great to see a transformation happen throughout the book. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I'm not the only one who saw Kali's issues as repetitive.

    AND YES about the awesome female characters.

    Also totally loved the Urban Fantasy vibe, but I also do not read a whole lot of Urban Fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think confused is a good word. I pretty much agreed with your review. Loved the characters and how they grew and changed, I was just a bit confused with the lore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it when the characters are great! I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I've heard quite a few good things about this book and the Raised by Wolves series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kind of liked this one! I was definitely confused by it, too! Kali did get a little annoying after awhile but, oh well! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic review! I read and finished this one a few days ago and I absolutely loved it. It's one of my best books of 2011...I really wanted to add it to my giveaway, but it's international and The Book Depository seems confused about this title. But I think it is SOOOO good. I can't wait for more! And yes, that death was horrible. :(

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I'm really sorry about the ending but otherwise it sounds like a terrific urban fantasy. That's not usually my genre but it sounds cool! :D

    ReplyDelete